Tips on learning how to script?

I have always wanted to get into scripting but I’ve never had the motivation, now that I’m older I think that it’s time for me to finally learn. I would like to know how all of you guys learned how to script. Where should I start? Any Youtubers/tutorials that you would recommend?

4 Likes

I strongly suggest @alvin_blox 's videos on youtube, also just searching the developer hub. Here Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Good luck on your journey of scripting!

2 Likes

Thank you, I will check that out for sure!

1 Like

I agree 100% with @uD0ge’s suggestion. AlvinBlox is arguably the best YouTuber to watch it you want to learn how to script. Alvin has helped me enormously with learning the basics of scripting.

Once you have the basics down, it’s a matter of trying new things and expanding your knowledge. Both the DevForum and Developer Hub are great resources to use — I am constantly using both. Remember: The learning opportunities will never end. There is always something new to learn or something to improve. It all starts with taking the initiative.

4 Likes

Thank you! I am really excited to start scripting!

2 Likes

Glad to hear :slight_smile:. We will always be here in #help-and-feedback:scripting-support if you have any questions or are stuck on something. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if they may seem stupid or pointless to you.

2 Likes

Let me just tell you, I’m not an expert scripter. But I can tell you this:

1. AlvinBlox has helped me enormously but I do think there are other alternative channels since he usually makes videos on a variety of things.

2. However if you want to learn scripting, there is the Developer Hub, and youtube channels that start you off with the basics like PeasFactory.

3. Play around with Freemodels (be aware of ones with viruses) and look into the scripts so you can familiarize

Please note that there are many threads about this common topic. Use the search bar! Hope this was helpful :wink:

2 Likes

I’d like to thank @uD0ge and @CanadianDefenders for the recommendations!

My full 23 part beginner scripting series can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsbxI7NIoTth8CE_os8sog72YTMLPhDSf

PS: Don’t try and force yourself into it or go too fast - embrace the first couple of concepts and use them to make small but cool things like lava bricks. Then challenge yourself to re-create It once made without looking at tutorials or previous code, but from memory. Then if you can’t do it, look back over and see what you missed.

Of course there are other great channels as mentioned including Peaspod (PeasFactory) who I also used!

15 Likes

Wow! I can’t believe that you replied, I am a huge fan and I have watched your videos in the past! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

4 Likes

No worries, glad you like them!

7 Likes

No problem, you are like ‘the’ guy who teached most people at first.

1 Like

Welp. I didn’t get the mention. I forgot you had a scripting tutorial series! :smiley:

I also want to reccomend a channel, and it is TheDevKing, it is really usefull and you can learn from basics to advanced things.

1 Like