Tips on making an inventory system?

Currently writing down a framework for an inventory system for my game. I was wondering if I should have instance values inside a folder that’s inside the player for replication across the client or use a remote event to send the inventory to the client. I also saw people using IDs. What is the point of them? These are some main questions I’ve wondered, cause I want my system to be as optimal as possible.

1 Like

Bumping thread!!!

Bumping again yes yes yes…

1. List item

It looks like the best option for you is to just go for it. Make a system with your intuition; it might not be pretty or the best implementation but after a few refactors or doing it over again, it will be a good system that fits best for you.

However, personally I would go for an Object Oriented approach, making an inventory object to define key things such as inventory size, owner of inventory etc. And then another object for each item, and defining possibly an id, location of the physical item, and other related data. Then yeah making operations through remote events (and of course ensure you do checks on the server to validate).

This link should help Inventory System - Help and Feedback / Scripting Support - Developer Forum | Roblox