Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

But how is it not an advertisement? This is a third-party platform of SFXs that are priced.
The only thing this person had to do with Roblox is his lawsuit. There are thousands of other talented people on the Roblox platform who could be featured instead of him.
This is a shameless advertisement.

5 Likes

It’s probably their settlement so roblox didn’t have to straight up pay tommy, but at least we’re now getting an asset marketplace.

1 Like

He also holds two Guinness World Records for his Video Games Live concerts. These are concerts where he plays popular soundtracks from hit video games around the world. Most of this music he didn’t make himself.

Top track on Spotify for this artist is the Skyrim Dragonborn Theme. That’s more than the original creator, Jeremy Soule.

Why is Roblox endorsing someone that takes credit from others for a living?

EDIT: His current company is Intellivision. That’s the name of a console from the 70’s. My point stands.

27 Likes

Paying for the oof sound would be probably better than paying 250 USD to buy these sounds.

Seeing as how unprofessional Tommy acted on Twitter and attempted to sue ROBLOX while also not owning any real copyright for the “oof” sound, and now you are making a deal to advertise his audio.

Really not happy with this change, and the fact that the ICONIC death sound is being removed.

15 Likes

This is unacceptable. I, and presumably others, refuse to pay a single penny to this person. This person used twitter drama against Roblox to advertise his product, and you’re just giving in and letting him advertise another one?

You purchased the rights to use uuhhh.wav, and you shouldn’t give into this hack because he threw a fit. I’m sorry, but this is petty. Very disappointed. This isn’t enough to make me leave the platform, far from it, but it is very upsetting to see yet another thing people remember Roblox for getting put on the chopping block.

20 Likes

There are multiple levels of “low” and I don’t think it would be wrong to say that this is one of those levels.

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree with you. This is an advertisement, Roblox is trying to spread the word of a service which is paid and not directly under a feature. Sound uploading has been around for quite some time, being less likely for a certain person not to get moderated is not a feature, it’s a privilege.

In my eyes, if one gifted sound designer is going to get an advertisement, then it should be consistent.

Where’s @KineKreature’s ad?

In the Fall 2020 Accelerator application process my studio was making a demo and his soundtrack for Content Constructed, our studio, was rejected by moderation, even though there was nothing wrong with it, which left us all very upset.

Kine is gifted, talented, skilled, and popular, just like Tommy. He should be treated in the same manner.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

22 Likes

This is scummy. Why would I want to pay someone $10 for a sound that will last 5 seconds and a character resetting/dying in the first place? I can buy things better than $10 on the worldwide web or R$ on the platform.

Not easy, your asking us developers to buy this stuff? Looks like an advertisement than a friendly way of saying the “Oof” sound is being depreacted onto the Engine which isn’t the best option, I would rather keep it than buy it.

I would also like to point out that there are hundreds and hundreds of sounds replicated towards this, how will the company and staff themselves make sure it gets handled?

16 Likes

That’s the thing. The death sound has been out for years! It has become implemented in Roblox’s platform. This could be easily done with Roblox paying for the death sound and we’d all be fine.

Roblox instead proceeded to make a shameless advertisement with someone who isn’t even on Roblox.

6 Likes

This is really disappointing. Multiple things are messed up about this post.

Advertising in #updates:announcements? Really?

In case you couldn’t tell, this is a clear advertisement, as @buildthomas brought up. We are advertising for a person who quite literally had a fit and threatened to sue over .86 seconds. Not just that, but the sound will be going away.

Removing the Oof! sound? Please don’t!

Come on roblox. Removing it is just letting Tommy know he can go out there and get massive companies to do as he pleases. At least keep the sound for gods sake.

DevRel, are you listening to our concerns?

:eyes:

I guess at least our lord, @coefficients is still watching our concerns. :coefficients:

Official Response maybe?

24 Likes

If anyone is interested in picking up over 700 sound effects completely free (with no copyright or strings attached) then you should check out Kenny’s Game Assets. He has hundreds of game assets on there and they cost absolutely nothing. Amazing resource for game assets.

Many of the sounds you will probably find on Tommy’s store will have an equivalent on one of Kenney’s audio packs.

76 Likes

This ain’t it chief. I don’t support the notion of using the DevForum Announcements as an advert board.

52 Likes

There is not a single drop of “good” in this ““announcement””. It’s just a weird ad for a mediocre music creator.

I don’t get why Roblox yielded to tommy when they owned a license to use the sound.

5 Likes

It’s a real shame that this principle was not applied here.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the decision to post this advertisement in the public announcements category, especially in light of the negative feeling around the subject.

It would be great to get some transparency on this and avoid it happening again in future.

19 Likes

However, roblox doesn’t have to give in like this. They are laws, yes, but this settlement is ridiculous. Give him some money, sure, but kill off the SFX market? Why? Totally unnecessary.

4 Likes

Well, the oof sound is a classic, something made way back when roblox was released. Rip “oof” sound.

4 Likes

There is probably only one word that can describe the amount of emotion that I can feel right now based on this announcement:
“yikes.”

9 Likes

Did you read this post at all? This is a sheer advertisement Roblox is promotng, not giving room for their own developers. I would be fine with this if it weren’t for the shameless advertisement.

2 Likes

When people go to buy SFX, they are going to go with whoever roblox is promoting.

2 Likes
9 Likes