Tower defense gameplay loop

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve?
    Good retention with players coming back consistently, getting hooked and enjoying each loop.
  2. What is the issue? Include enough details if possible!
    My retention is very bad with about 2% of players returning.
  3. What solutions have you thought of so far?
    I made XP system, which every 10,000 XP rewards a 1% damage boost.

My retention on my tower defense game, is quite literally horrible. About 2% come back, and thats mostly my friends. I have no idea what is causing this as there is a clear gameplay loop: Play a match, buy new towers with the money from that match, and take on harder modes. Is there any mechanics which would really help? Also, advice for my game in general?

If you test the game, please note this. Play easy mode, as i have revamped it recently to have a short, quick, and challenging gameplay loop. Medium mode and hard mode are a bit slower. Also, when you first play the tutorial teleports you. That is NOT the main game. Please play a solo game when you go to the lobby, on easy mode. Thanks

(6) TOWER ASSAULT - Roblox

2 Likes

From playing a couple rounds, there’s just no excitement.

I like the UI feedback but there’s no sound that goes with it, no game settings to change audio, so the towers are loud.

There is no music either, which is fundamental for setting the mood, the UI could be better too. When I click on the tower, I see my options, but no obvious pricing! Is the amount I’m selling my tower for? Or is it the upgrade cost? Also, it’s hard to know where things are in the lobby.

Where do I upgrade towers? Customisation? Settings? This game is bare-bones (respectfully)

The towers have no animations other than its attack, it doesn’t feel lively!

That’s all, sorry if I sound harsh or rude lol.

EDIT:
Also the towers have clipping cosmetics which make the game feel rushed and not ready for release. You also have exposed assets

EDIT 2:

What does the max ability for scout do? Theres no description anywhere??

1 Like

Thank you for this response! This has been the only relatively useful response I have gotten out of my many forum posts. I don’t think you were harsh at all, because my players retention is seriously lacking. The game is bare bones, I agree, but so is Toilet Tower Defense and that gets 200K players?

However, I will definitely implement a settings UI for sounds and such, I also have need to fix the sound system for a while. I have also upgraded the upgrade system (pun intended), and I will def work on the animations of the towers to be a bit more lively.

I thought music during the game would disrupt the gameplay, but I will add some OST to the game as I do know some music theory and FL studio. The lobby shouldn’t be too hard to navigate, but I could add navigation arrows I suppose. I will also add a system that lets you hover over a tower, makes a highlight on that tower and tells the level and name of the tower, along with a simple change like when a tower hot bar space is hovered over it will get slightly bigger.

Thank you for the feedback! Btw, the scout ability was a test ability I kept in for fun, it increases the scouts dps to 20. Thanks.
Best regards, arimancen.

1 Like

Thats great to hear! I wish you luck on getting that retention back!

Also the reason TTD is so popular is because of it’s theme, alot of brain rotted kids here lol.