TPGI RE3 - Realtime Physically accurate global illumination

Official Discord :loudspeaker: | Official Group :link: | TPGI RE1 Post :link: | Showcase :camera_flash:

Demo

Keep in mind the ambient is 0,0,0 and there is no diffuse or specular, all lighting in shadows is done by TPGI, not by roblox.

Where can I get it?

Currently TPGI is by paid license only, Contact me for details.

Who already has it?

ULTEAM, ā€œThose Developersā€ and Venture (obv) all have access to the system, ULTEAM and Those Devs both licenced the technology

How does it work

Im not going to go in depth here but to summarize, There is a cloud of probes that move around with the player, Each probe does a heavily optimized raytracing operation to figure out brightness and color which are projected back to the probe, in theory this should provide near physically accurate GI at a fraction of the cost.

You can find a HEAVILY stripped (slightly outdated) version of our raytracing library here. It has all of the optimizations removed and is super barebones.

Why is it paid licence only?

I have gouged my left eye out working on this and I need to pay for surgery. satire

In all seriousness this is the culmination of YEARS of learning and development, Starting with my old i2(TGI), i3(TGI) and i4(EGI) systems, moving to my more modern systems i5(TEGI), APGI 1 and into the latest generation (APGI2 and TPGI).

Also im genuinely broke rn to the point you can hire me for commission work

Where from here?

TPGI will continue to receive new versions until I develop a new architecture, In the meantime you can DM me about licencing the system.

For anyone curious about the other architectures, here is a rundown

TGI - Traci Global Illumination

i1, i2 and i3 fall under this architecture

TGI was/is the most rudimentary GI system I have ever made
In short ray bounces were hardcoded (bad) and wherever a ray
lands a traci is created (A light emitter, bad)

EGI + TEGI - Traced Enviornment Global Illumination

EGI fakes global illumination by using a bounds query for each probe. then calculating the lighting for that position.

TEGI switched out the bounds calculations for a simple hardcoded raytracer ripped from the TGI Family

APGI - Approximate Point Global Illumination

Used an early varient of the new raytracing library however it ran really badly and brought back traci. It was mainly used as a tech demo for the library since it was a TRUELY Physically accurate simulation.

APGI 2 is applied the traces to probes but suffered many of the same issues

TPGI

TPGI is a Fully rewrite of APGI 2 and the raytracing library, It introduces alot of optimization work, Fast Lighting Approximation and more.

RE2 optimized it further with new caching features and a partial rewrite

RE3 overhauls all the calculations for color, brightness and smoothing making it by far the most visually pleasing system yet. Aswell as a host of new creative config options for a greater amount of artistic control. (and even more optimization work)

3 Likes

Just a little notice for anyone looking for licensing.
Its a hefty price.

4 Likes

Is that 2.5k in USD?

ā€¦ Thatā€™s enough to buy a brand new computer.

4 Likes

Yep its USD, crazy right, I didnā€™t expect that seriously lol.

I thought it was Robux not USD. :skull:

4 Likes

Me too :sob:, seriously is a crazy price.

Wow.

Iā€™m going to faint now. You could get Unreal 5 for a year for cheaper.

Edit: As for feedback, excellent system unlike anything else Iā€™ve seen.

3 Likes

$2.5k for blurry lighting? Iā€™m sold!

Edit: what would the difference between this and ā€˜futureā€™ lighting + a blur effect even be
(which are both free and look pretty decent for roblox)?

4 Likes

If anyone wants a partial light bounce system hmu, those prices are crazy.

Given this guys system is far better, Iā€™d give away what I got for free.

1 Like

2.5k is wild bro especially for a game primarily centered around an audience of children

2 Likes

I dont think I made this clear enough during our conversation,

The large price is due to the commercial use licence, The licence gives access to all future versions of TPGI along with rollover for future systems, The price also includes tech support and more.

Individual licences are rare and only go to our freinds or people we trust.

As for ulteam, I deleted my message because I realized it was slightly disingenous and I want to clearly admit that here before anything spirals, the 8k price is for an enterprise licence which pretty much lets ulteam tell me to add a feature whenever and I am contractually obligated to do so. Their licence is also paid via an advertising agreement since one of their soon to release games is going to have TPGI among its expiramental settings.

To add to this, If you can afford to pay a team of staff like many leading games you can afford a one time licence for the ability to use a tool like this. which is why our pricing is the way it is.

Ay man, didnā€™t mean no harm at least state the prices in the post. Kinda was sketchy how you were editing/deleting the message. Just wanted to let others know the $$ before contacting you as it clearly was a waste of time for me and probably others if its gonna cost USD and be that absurd of a price. But nonetheless good luck, seems like a cool system!

3 Likes

TPGI is not as good as UE5 Lumen however Lumen is a great example of what this tech is aiming to be.

Lumen :

Made this specifically because there is confusion about what global illumination is (which I dont really get because like, google it???) anyways heres another demo video. Enjoy.

This is extremely impressive, good luck trying to get customers with that price tag though lol.

I think I should have proofread this post more, Everyone is talking about the cost/money, I meant moreso to get people talking about the tech. TPGI is not really meant to be sold, its more of a ā€˜if you really want it Ill give you a licenceā€™ type deal, atleast for now.

1 Like