Trackpad gestures!

Finally! This is going to make the Roblox laptop experience so much better.

1 Like

Yes this will make playing roblox on my macbook so much easier

2 Likes

Obbies which require you to zoom in sometimes to get through very tight gaps with lazers was a pain for me when i had a laptop, but now i see how this is making everything easier, dream come true for laptops

1 Like

This is a really good feature, it was always a pain to have to use shiftlock to play almost properly with a touchpad. Keep up the work.

2 Likes

On Windows trackpads, MouseWheel was previously caused by a pinch OR vertical two-finger pan, unless the trackpad driver was doing something different. This is what you’ve been using.

We’ll be making this more consistent on Windows in the next phase.

2 Likes

This feature is wonderful, and opens doors for developers to add better control schemes to their games. Thank you.

However, will there be a ContextActionService version of this?
I want to include trackpad support for a certain usage, but I need to be able to sink the input with Enum.ContextActionResult.Sink in order to have proper behavior. UIS does not, as far as I know, have any equivalent to the priority binding system of the CAS API, and I therefore cannot use it.

EDIT: Apparently, this is the only UIS event that behaves the same as CAS. How strange. It’s a separate event instead of an Enum for InputBegan, so it has its own behavior that mimics CAS mouse functions.

EDIT 2: Nvm, I believe it behaved that way because of how CameraScript handles GameProcessed. My bad. I don’t have a trackpad so tests require me to send files to people and certain things get lost in transit. Sorry.

1 Like

Really glad this is a feature now. This will benefit a lot of players, thank you!

1 Like

Amazing!!! Thank you so much this is really gonna fix trying to use the awkward right click button while playing roblox.

2 Likes

This will be so nice for them, being able to not have to click down to use the trackpad to move…
oooooo.

1 Like

We considered exposing this as a CAS-compatible UserInputType but decided against it:

• We would have to pack extra information into InputObject fields
  • InputObject field packing is already non-obvious and quirky, and we don’t want to make that situation worse.
  • InputObject.Position.Z for MouseWheel input type is reserved for a combination of mouse wheel + two-finger vertical pan + pinch, and must stay that way for compatibility. That leaves us with three fields in the InputObject (Delta.x/y/z), but four fields to expose (wheel+pan x+pan y+pinch) – so we can’t just pack this into a MouseWheel InputObject.

We might consider a new UserInputType to supersede MouseWheel if there’s enough demand.

4 Likes

Nice, I think this will allow for some pretty awesome stuff.

4 Likes

Flashbacks to 2008-2015 when all I had to use was a laptop for developing. I am very glad something like this is coming!

1 Like

This is enabled as of 15:45 Pacific time.

Seems like something went wrong with this update :grimacing: scrolling using a normal mouse, anywhere, is inverted and feels extremely weird

Change is reverted. Some platforms had inverted scrolling for MouseWheel events.
We’re going to put in a more holistic fix for camera inversion and try again next week.

2 Likes

I think I am finally in heaven with this!

I am so glad this was added. Does it also work in Studio (in Edit-Mode)?

Perfect! This will bring a lot of compatibility!

1 Like

No sadly. The post specifically said so. :frowning:

Also, @subcritical, when will this change roll out again?

Rolling this out this Wednesday (Sep. 25).

1 Like