Trackpad gestures!

We considered exposing this as a CAS-compatible UserInputType but decided against it:

• We would have to pack extra information into InputObject fields
  • InputObject field packing is already non-obvious and quirky, and we don’t want to make that situation worse.
  • InputObject.Position.Z for MouseWheel input type is reserved for a combination of mouse wheel + two-finger vertical pan + pinch, and must stay that way for compatibility. That leaves us with three fields in the InputObject (Delta.x/y/z), but four fields to expose (wheel+pan x+pan y+pinch) – so we can’t just pack this into a MouseWheel InputObject.

We might consider a new UserInputType to supersede MouseWheel if there’s enough demand.

4 Likes

Nice, I think this will allow for some pretty awesome stuff.

4 Likes

Flashbacks to 2008-2015 when all I had to use was a laptop for developing. I am very glad something like this is coming!

1 Like

This is enabled as of 15:45 Pacific time.

Seems like something went wrong with this update :grimacing: scrolling using a normal mouse, anywhere, is inverted and feels extremely weird

Change is reverted. Some platforms had inverted scrolling for MouseWheel events.
We’re going to put in a more holistic fix for camera inversion and try again next week.

2 Likes

I think I am finally in heaven with this!

I am so glad this was added. Does it also work in Studio (in Edit-Mode)?

Perfect! This will bring a lot of compatibility!

1 Like

No sadly. The post specifically said so. :frowning:

Also, @subcritical, when will this change roll out again?

Rolling this out this Wednesday (Sep. 25).

1 Like

Even though I don’t have a laptop, it looks really smooth!

Dang, smooth quality, & gives out a lot of detail for Laptop players without a mouse, this is awesome!

Perfect thanks! When my mouse battery was low, I’d have to scramble around to find a new mouse, but now it’s much easier!

It’s Sep. 25 and I’m now experiencing the same inverted camera issue. Could it be this change?

It’s frustrating to need to get used to this after 7 years of Roblox experience with the old trackpad controls. It also takes way longer to get your hand into the “Pinch” position from the rotation/mouse-moving position. I was really satisfied with the way it was before, and it wasn’t difficult to rotate the camera with two fingers + press at the same time.

12 Likes

Can you provide repro steps? What platform are you having this issue on (Mac, PC, Studio, etc)?

1 Like

It probably just takes some getting used to

1 Like

I agree with @SamsonXVI. I use my index and middle finger when using my trackpad and was able to change the zoom very easily prior to this update; using my thumb to pinch takes much longer. I’m fine with the new pan gesture but the zoom gesture feels awkward to me. Also, the camera pans when I scroll through the chat or the leaderboard which I’m sure wasn’t intended behavior.

7 Likes

Hello, is there a way I can disable this for me? I personally don’t like it and it gets annoying

12 Likes