Trackpad gestures!

Mac trackpads seem to be designed for gestures and likely connected via the old mouse events!

2 Likes

Makes sense, now windows users can join in on the fun

1 Like

To clarify, on Mac you previously had to push 2 fingers down in the right corner to activate a “right mouse button hold”, which isn’t great and was difficult to do for longer periods of time. Now you won’t have to push down on the trackpad, you can just glide 2 fingers together across the trackpad, and you will be able to switch quickly between 1 finger (cursor) and 2 fingers (camera). Also, we didn’t previously support pinch in/out to zoom.

3 Likes

The only thing new I saw here was 2 fingers for camera look around. I’ve been using the trackpad since 2016 and i’ve always used pinch to zoom in/ zoom out

1 Like

same here on my old windows laptops, in addition to being able to move the camera by tapping and dragging with two fingers, but this is an official implementation of those features. some laptops map these gestures to the physical mouse alternative; e.g. pinching as opposed to scrolling with the wheel, two-finger tap as opposed to right click

1 Like

Finally! This is going to make the Roblox laptop experience so much better.

1 Like

Yes this will make playing roblox on my macbook so much easier

2 Likes

Obbies which require you to zoom in sometimes to get through very tight gaps with lazers was a pain for me when i had a laptop, but now i see how this is making everything easier, dream come true for laptops

1 Like

This is a really good feature, it was always a pain to have to use shiftlock to play almost properly with a touchpad. Keep up the work.

2 Likes

On Windows trackpads, MouseWheel was previously caused by a pinch OR vertical two-finger pan, unless the trackpad driver was doing something different. This is what you’ve been using.

We’ll be making this more consistent on Windows in the next phase.

2 Likes

This feature is wonderful, and opens doors for developers to add better control schemes to their games. Thank you.

However, will there be a ContextActionService version of this?
I want to include trackpad support for a certain usage, but I need to be able to sink the input with Enum.ContextActionResult.Sink in order to have proper behavior. UIS does not, as far as I know, have any equivalent to the priority binding system of the CAS API, and I therefore cannot use it.

EDIT: Apparently, this is the only UIS event that behaves the same as CAS. How strange. It’s a separate event instead of an Enum for InputBegan, so it has its own behavior that mimics CAS mouse functions.

EDIT 2: Nvm, I believe it behaved that way because of how CameraScript handles GameProcessed. My bad. I don’t have a trackpad so tests require me to send files to people and certain things get lost in transit. Sorry.

1 Like

Really glad this is a feature now. This will benefit a lot of players, thank you!

1 Like

Amazing!!! Thank you so much this is really gonna fix trying to use the awkward right click button while playing roblox.

2 Likes

This will be so nice for them, being able to not have to click down to use the trackpad to move…
oooooo.

1 Like

We considered exposing this as a CAS-compatible UserInputType but decided against it:

• We would have to pack extra information into InputObject fields
  • InputObject field packing is already non-obvious and quirky, and we don’t want to make that situation worse.
  • InputObject.Position.Z for MouseWheel input type is reserved for a combination of mouse wheel + two-finger vertical pan + pinch, and must stay that way for compatibility. That leaves us with three fields in the InputObject (Delta.x/y/z), but four fields to expose (wheel+pan x+pan y+pinch) – so we can’t just pack this into a MouseWheel InputObject.

We might consider a new UserInputType to supersede MouseWheel if there’s enough demand.

4 Likes

Nice, I think this will allow for some pretty awesome stuff.

4 Likes

Flashbacks to 2008-2015 when all I had to use was a laptop for developing. I am very glad something like this is coming!

1 Like

This is enabled as of 15:45 Pacific time.

Seems like something went wrong with this update :grimacing: scrolling using a normal mouse, anywhere, is inverted and feels extremely weird

Change is reverted. Some platforms had inverted scrolling for MouseWheel events.
We’re going to put in a more holistic fix for camera inversion and try again next week.

2 Likes