Train chassis wont stop jumping the rails

I’m currently working on a train chassis with suspension, but 10-30 seconds in while running, the train just jumps the rails. I tried changing the density of the wheels, the train wheels have PreciseConvexDecomposition on, I tried changing the dampening of the springs, tried adding balls to the side of the rails and welded those to the bogies, I tried changing the torque of the motor, making the wheel’s elasticity 0, and just a lot more. I’ll provide the rbxm file to the test chassis if anyone can figure it out.
trainchassis.rbxm (27.6 KB)

3 Likes

Your first and biggest mistake: you’re using unions as wheels.

Unions do not have perfectly round collision meshes, as opposed to Cylinder and Ball shape parts (you should use these instead).

1 Like

I’ve heard that invisible cylinders and sphere gliders work well as a train chassis. Should I try that instead?

1 Like

You should start off with separating the wheel itself and it’s flange into two separate cylinders. You can try these solutions as well, though

1 Like

I’m looking for a solution that supports higher speed so I’m gonna stick with the glider system.

1 Like

Have you came up with any design yet? I’m trying to make a train chassis that can go at 150+ sps without vibrating/jumping. I tried using gliders, wheels, everything, to no avail. Every time I get this annoying wobbling issue, to smaller or bigger extent.

1 Like

Suspension definitely amplifies the wobbling effect by a lot, if suspension’s what you’re after. With my current design, the chassis behaves as intended under 30-ish sps (slight wobbling, like irl), but if the train goes anything above that speed, then the train decides to go haywire. It manages to stays on the tracks until 500 or so sps (would probably be more if it weren’t for this weird property in hingeconstraints where they start to wobble at very high angularvelocity). It’s still very WIP.

1 Like

I did manage to make a train chassis with suspension that does work well… as long as it moves on the same track parts.

Apparently Roblox’s physics engine has this weird behaviour where if an object is rolling/gliding from one part onto another, it jumps for no apparent reason.

That means curved tracks are the most affected by it as they have many parts.

The issue persists with all kinds of train systems relying on the physics engine, to smaller or bigger extent. Train chassis with suspension is the most affected as the wheels are relatively easy to knock off the track.

1 Like

Mind if I see a vid? Also, I basically posted a near exact post like this a few days ago where you can see my new chassis being unstable.

1 Like