Train gets stuck after stopping and at rail joints

hello there, i’m currently working on a train which moves using physics parts. i’ll briefly explain how it works and then what the problems are.

so, it is set up as 3 parts, the main body, bogie 1 and bogie 2. the bogies are connected to the body by a cylindrical constraint (to allow suspension to be added later on). this allows the bogies to rotate as per reality. i’ve attached a diagram below

now it stays attached by gliders which are welded to the bogie roughly where each wheel is.
the customphysicalproperties of these gliders are all set to these values here

now as for the issues i’m having,

for some odd reason at low speeds the train will get stuck at every point where rails meet, as shown below

i don’t understand why its getting stuck at these points, the rails are joined perfectly smooth and have no little bumps or gaps, the collisionfidelity is set to box for these rails and elasticity and friction is set to 0.

the second issue is after stopping the train, it won’t move again. it doesn’t matter where you stop it (straight track or a curve), it simply won’t move off afterwards. the linearvelocity is applying a force. so i’m not sure at all why this is happening?

i’ve tried setting physicssteppingmethod to fixed which hasn’t fixed either issues and unfortunatly i’m not very skilled when it comes to roblox physics. if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated, i can provide further information about any of the parts if necessary.

thanks in advance, jamie

3 Likes

that’s how physics work in the world called roblox, no idea to fix

1 Like

are the tracks perfectly alinged

1 Like

Try setting the collision fidelity to PreciseConvex, and see if that fixes it.

1 Like

as seen by the collision geometry they are perfectly aligned

2 Likes

then it’s just how Roblox physics work. You might want to use cylinder instead. or try putting tracks inside eachother a bit?

2 Likes

this would only create more bumps, especially around corners

1 Like

Hi there, Instead of using a sphere for every wheel, use 1 sphere of the width between the tracks,

Like I did here, apart from that. Change the CustomPhysicalProperties to this
That’ll make it a bit better I hope.

2 Likes

thank you very much, only problem i had with this was the frictionweight, which setting it back to 100 seemed to fix it. thank you once again

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.