Train randomly coming to a stop for no reason

What are you attempting to achieve?

I am trying to achieve a functional driving system for a train, up to this point I have done testing and it works as it should.

What is the issue?

The issue is that the train randomly stops when approaching a certain point for what appears to be no reason at all. The video below shows that there is nothing that should be causing it to stop, as well as how the train randomly stops there:

This video shows me walking over it to show that there is no change in the collision properties that would cause the train to randomly stop:

What solutions have you tried so far?

I have checked every collision property of the parts nearby to make sure that the train should be running smoothly, I have also reshaped the part underneath the tracks to see if using a different shaped union can solve the issue. However, nothing seems to fix this issue.

Very suspicious that it happens right at the intersection…
Do other intersections work? If they do, try finding what is different between them or just copy the working intersection.

I have this screenshot of the train being able to get past the intersection (and encountered a different issue) and this issue where it randomly stops seems to have suddenly appeared after I tried changing the track section after it into unions

However I will try and see if replacing the intersection might fix it.

Update: Replacing the intersection did not solve the issue, however I do not know what might be wrong with the curved section to cause the issue to happen

Could you provide more information on how the train system works?
Does it get stuck on other sections of track or is it really only on that section?

Go into studio settings and select Show Decomposition Geometry… this will show the collision area of your unions and meshes. My guess is that one of your unions or meshes is stopping the train. Then once it shows its “true” collision, you can change this sections collision fidelity to PreciseConvexDecomposition in its properties.

Sorry for the late reply, but here is a video that shows how the system should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f255kHIqlvQ

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know about a setting which shows collisions, I’ve been trying to find if one existed before making this post. I’ll use it to see how the collisions are actually working and i’ll update my reply when I get more information.

Update: I think I found a potential cause of the issue, since there is a difference in collision type right where the train seems to randomly stop. I’ll make them have the same collision type and then test if the issue is resolved.

Update 2: It hasn’t solved the issue however I will be using this setting to look further into it

1 Like

Make sure to check collision on all the pertaining parts that will collide with the train… and also check your train underneath as well… it could be part of your train getting stuck on that particular piece of track for whatever reason.

I’ve just found out that for some reason the system worked fine for curved tracks in my testing place, but even though I did not change anything, it just doesn’t work at all on any curves in the main game.

It does not work with switch tracks:

And it does not work on curved track in a different location:

Image collected from one of the people helping to test my game