Train shakes on curves (part 2)

*What are you attempting to achieve?

I want to stop the train from shaking while keeping most of the train’s main frame aligned with the tracks.

• What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)

The train either vibrates and shakes, or it is misaligned and wobbles. I have been able to solve one or the other issue but not both. For example, I stopped the train from shaking on curves by removing two circular gliders (see below) on the back bogey, but the train would not stay aligned and wobble as well. When I put the two gliders back on the back bogey, the wobble and misalignment stops, but the train vibrates and shakes on curves pretty badly.

Here are some photos and a clip to give a better idea of what is going on. If you need a copy of the game to solve the question, feel free to private message me, I just don’t want to put it out in public yet.

The image below shows what a bogey looks like, back and front are same. The four yellow spheres are the gliders. As previously mentioned, I removed two of them for the back bogey to solve the shaking, but instead causes misalignment and wobbling after straightening from a curve. Yellow cylinders are “wheels” which slide along the rails. Green cylinder bar keeps the bogies from derailing upwards.

Here is an image of the cross section with the main frame of the train lifted up. The gray blocks of the bogies connect to the floor of the train (that red carpet at the top) by a HingeConstraint, as seen by the red lines. This allows the bogies to pivot. Without pivoting, the bogies get stuck and the train gets stuck as well on turns. The fake “bogies” that are black and the black boxes are not collide-able, cannot touch, and cannot query, the bogies go right through them when I attach the Main Frame to the Bogies. The green constraint line is a WeldConstraint which connects the coupler to the floor of each carriage, in this case Carriage1 and Carriage2. The coupler has a RodConstraint which is 1.4 long. You can kinda see the coupler behind the ScreenGUI on the bottom right.

This video below shows the vibration and shaking when all four gliders are present in the back.

• What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)

I have tried A LOT of things. Removing gliders on bogies, changing the positions of the gliders on the bogies, adding a center bogey, and even trying to align the first carriage and stop the wobbling from the coupler, while removing two of the gliders causing the shaking. Been stuck on this for a full week so any help would be extremely appreciated.

1 Like

I used a simpler system that only used a single axle at either end of the train cars as shown in that post. It uses a single large hinged glider between each axle and my train model goes insanely fast around even 15-20 degree corners before derailing. You could make 2 axles with one of these gliders for each axle on your bogeys.

Another issue is that the weight of the train cars/carriages/etc above the rails may be affecting the trains stability. Try decreasing the Density or make it Massless above the height of the bogeys.
Try making the wheels bigger too. Small Parts tend to push through other parts when you push the physics envelope.

4 Likes

Will attempt to try this in the next day

Came back to this project and tested the original model that I adapted from you, and realized that the model you have also shakes on “smooth” turns created via Archimedes 3. It seems as if the Archimedes-created tracks (4 stud long, 0.1 degree turn pieces each) are contributing to the shaking. I’ll be looking into possibly creating a new variant of the model provided or seek a new solution. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Did you check to see if the ends of the inner rail curves were meeting at the same point when you use Archimedes?
I use Studio Build Suite on my rail sections to select all the inner rails and then Resize center to get the ends to meet up perfectly.
How heavy is each train carriage?
Here’s another model I made in October which allows the bogeys to tilt and rotate so they follow the rails better:
Test Train, bogeys with tilt (VectorForce or Hinges).rbxl (174.8 KB)

1 Like