Translation Updates: Roblox Translate, Thai & Turkish, and more!

3 Likes

Arabic next milestone ?

30 chat

2 Likes

I’m not an familiar at Arabic in the slightest, but I recall that it is written right to left. Although the translating may be fine, this could ruin how text is displayed in-game. It may mess up the TextXAlignment settings of Text-related GUI.

1 Like

Yes your correct its written right to left

Not true you can already write arabic in roblox studio TextXAlignment works fine with it

6 Likes

As someone whose native language is not English, I can say that the automatic translation is not bad, its terrible.

6 Likes

I always love seeing improvements to existing Roblox features, but please do not take for granted the manual translators heavily impacting our community. No matter how advanced your automatic translation systems get, manual translators will always have the upper hand when it comes to accurate and precise translations.

7 Likes

I would love a way to contribute to Roblox Translate with the website giving us both a string in our native language and the resulting translation in another language we speak and asking us whether it’s correct or not.

Let us contribute, Roblox! If you’re making this, let us make it good at least.

6 Likes

If they did all that work for automatic-translations, I think something is coming soon about manual ones. I am really excited to see what Roblox is planning to do with them as, from my experience, the portal does not have many issues remaining to be fixed.

This could be a good idea with Roblox’s automatic translation. It could work as an assistant where with the press of a button, it translated the text and allowed the translator to review it/make any necessary changes.

That was a confusion caused by the community. The owners of the games who opted in, earlier, were not aware that those translations would be automatically pushed into their game(s), therefore, they did not have the knowledge of how to opt-out. Roblox did not have any guide for that as well, making things worse.

As a translator, I could not agree more with this. My rates would drop if some useful features were implemented.

6 Likes

As a person with major on language translation (Turkish-English), I can say that its a good milestone for integrating Turkish people more into roblox, but I would still recommend hiring translators for bigger studios because Turkish is a complicated language to machine translate

5 Likes

Hey @Caelestene
Thanks for the update!
What exactly does the translation system do in our game? Does it automatically sense all the English words inside UIs? Can it already read complex fonts?

2 Likes

You can enable that in automatic string capture. Go to create, find your game, press configure localization, then settings, and turn on “Automatic Text Capture”.

4 Likes

Yes but you can’t opt out in 30 days for the automatic localization beta. sir

1 Like

I see a common trend in any translation service, not just Roblox, where people say it is not accurate. I’d love to see some examples of that and which languages are the worst translated on Roblox. Also, I have yet to try out any translation, so knowing what to actually be wary of would be great.

2 Likes

this is bassicly robotd tsking poeples jobs its good for the devs becouse they dont have to pay translators and its much faster but what about the transloators they bassicly lose there jobs its good for the devs not for the translators

2 Likes

This is very interesting, but even if I can’t afford manual, professional translators (I can’t), why would I use this over just using a service like DeepL, which claims to be the most accurate machine translation service? I could just paste every string in my game into its translator and use that. Are there any statistics on how Roblox Translate stacks up against Google Translate or other stuff like Microsoft Translate or AWS? DeepL has some pretty interesting stats on accuracy:

(this is from DeepL’s website)

Does anyone have stats for Roblox Translate like this? I’m just curious.

P.S. @Caelestene Could you provide these stats? And is there an API we can access to use Roblox Translate for other Roblox-native scenarios? Maybe using it to allow an option that the player can toggle to see translated chat messages? (Please don’t force this) If not, are there any plans to expose a public, developer-usable translation API in the future?

5 Likes

This isn’t actually that bad. I tried to translate the same text in DeepL and Google Translate and it seems to work better.

See, the biggest problem with translating is context. Definitions are solid for the most part, but common phrases and slang have multiple interpretations. It’s not like “hold your horses” in English means to literally hold a real horse. However, this is most likely lost in translation, which creates confusion.

3 Likes

Does that also work for texts on models?

2 Likes

With the Turks making up a big portion of every base, this update was long needed! I am glad it finally arrived, and now, all we need is a full website translation.

8 Likes

Robots, or translation machines, are not going to take our jobs. Instead, they could work as an assistant so that we could provide faster and more accurate translations.

4 Likes

I believe it takes every text found in your game and sets it as a string in the portal.

3 Likes