Transparency on Materialvariants no longer works like it used to

Prior, when there was transparency in a material’s Colormap, it would make the base color of whatever the material was put on bleed through, similar to Surfaceappearences with their transparency mode set to overlay.

This was invaluable for making materials where only parts of the texture would look good colored, even seen in roblox’s default materials (e.g. the part’s color doesnt change the color of the grout on the brick material)

For some reason, this no longer works on materialvariants (still works just fine on surfaceappearances)

Even materials I made in the past are now affected by this even though they weren’t affected prior, so I know this is an error on roblox’s part and not mine.

Is there a fix for this? I made a whole lot of materials with the transparency trick in mind, and now most of them either look too dark, or are otherwise colored in places they shouldnt be colored. If there isn’t a fix for this, can someone forward this to #bug-reports?

do you think you could have a beta feature enabled that changes the way they work?

Probably not, I disabled all the material related betas and it still doesnt work

1 Like

Bumping, still has yet to be resolved

Have you tried removing the color texture from the material variant?

I usually do this if I want to get a different color on the material than the one that I downloaded online.

Some PBR textures will come with just a neutral color map but most of them come with one that already has a color. I usually just don’t use the color maps and instead only use roughness/normal/metal.

Hope this helps! :smile:

It works if you want a solid color texture with a bump/roughness/metallic map, but not really what i’m looking for.

As mentioned, it used to let the base color bleed through the specified color map for use in coloring textures without losing detail that would be lost usually. i’m looking for a way to restore its old functionality, it was pretty useful .

also, leaving the color map blank and relying on the other textures makes the material look bad on lower graphics settings that don’t support PBR/bumpmapping

I see what you mean. I tried replicating the problem and I think it’s got something to do with Roblox changing the way that material variants work.

(Surface Appearance on left, Material Variant on the right.)

I also tried getting the source textures for the default Roblox brick to try and replicate the grout, and had no luck.

(Left - Roblox default, Middle - Surface Appearance using same textures, Right - Material Variant using same textures)

You can find the textures here: Materials | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

The colormap texture only has the bricks visible I noticed.

I’m pretty sure Roblox has some sort of special exception in place for its default materials and I am not sure if it’s possible to achieve a material variant with something similar to the grout from Roblox bricks or to be able to make transparent colormap textures work. :confused:

This might be a #bug-reports or #feature-requests issue but I’m not sure since I’m new here

I hope I was able to help, best of luck to you!

I would post it there, but

I would post it there, but roblox is very particular about who posts there for whatever reason. I tried requesting access for #bug-reports but no dice.

That sucks :confused:

Maybe there is an email you can ask about it to?