Transparent Image Texture Support On Character Parts and MeshParts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to use textures with transparency on character parts or MeshParts.

This has been requested in the past, but in a more general way to apply to all MeshParts. This request is more specific in that the request is for MeshParts that make up a character model. My use case is that I would like the body part colors to show through the texture areas that are transparent.

For example. I have a custom character model consisting of MeshParts. A short sleeve shirt mesh is part of the mesh, and has an image texture applied. My goal is to have the body part color show through, such as the arm color, where the shirt does not cover the arm. The shirt texture is transparent where the arms are, and has a color where the shirt is.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience?

This would allow developers (and Roblox itself) to build character models in which the body part colors show through the transparent areas of the texture. That would make it so much easier to support character models with different skin colors.

Reference:
This is a really good answer of how things are currently done, and how difficult it is to work around the current limitations.

1 Like

Don’t create duplicate feature requests only because your use case is different. It only creates unnecessary clutter.
Use the already existing threads to describe your use case instead.

1 Like

The context is very important in this case. I am not sure if Roblox realizes how extremely difficult they made it to support multiple skin tones, since textures do not support transparency.

I don’t question that. But making separate threads for each specific use case like character models, planes, feathers, props etc is really unnecessary.

It all should be posted in one, single thread. If you want, you can even make a post with detailed description of your use case like you have above, but under the main thread. (Don’t post it now though, because you posted it already. I reported it to the staff and they will probably merge it with the main thread for you)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mesh-part textures should support alpha channels