Transparent parts with Surface Appearance objects cause models to be culled inappropriately

Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-07 00:05:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-05-09 12:05:00 (-05:00)

Reproduction Steps:
I will attach a copy of the game this is occurring at.
simply load into the game with a VR headset, and look around. if it does not occur at this point, utilize the snap turning (left/right on right joystick) and continue to explore the house.

Expected Behavior:
I expect for the parts of the character to remain visible when looking around at all angles.

Actual Behavior:
when looking at the world at various angles, the hands, arms, and anything else parented to the character disappears

in this clip, I have my hands selected in studio, showing that the hands themselves are at the correct position in world, just not being rendered.

Workaround:
setting the backpack object to 0.9999 instead of 1

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

I have an update, and have found the cause!

It’s the objects with surface appearance!

For some reason, if all of them aren’t “in frame” of the camera, the whole model gets culled from view.

FOR SOME REASON though, when i turn the backpack’s transparency to anything that isn’t 0, this issue goes away.

for a workaround. i can set the backpack to be 0.999 transparent when it needs to be hidden.

you can view this behavior with the StarterCharacter model in StarterPlayer service of the attached file

1 Like