Hey guys! In most of my time scripting, I’ve just been doing it as a hobby/passion, so I don’t have any front page games to speak of or much of a name for myself in the public, but I’ve been scripting for about 4 years now and now present to you a plugin that allows you to automatically generate trees (that I made a year ago).
Alright so this is kind of a tricky plugin to use, so bear with me here.
Create two parts, one with the material/color of the trunk and one with the material/color of the leaves
Select the trunk part first and then ctrl click the leaf part
Adjust the numbers in the plugin and generate it
- MaxBranchHeight is the max y coordinate of the branch? I think? Now that I think about it that's probably what was messing it up before. If your trees are generating really short just set this to some big number like 99999.
- MaxBranchAngle is the maximum angle a branch can turn away from it's "parent" branch
- BranchLength is the length of each individual branch part (I thought it randomized but maybe it doesn't)
- BranchWidth is the width of each branch/trunk part
- GroupingDistance determines how close leaves have to be in order to "group" together into bigger leaf parts. Think about it like the leaf size, but it also lowers leaf counts.
- Rotate is an on/off option that determines whether or not the leaves will have randomized rotation (versus just being orient 0,0,0)
Creating a tree doesn’t create a Ctrl + z waypoint. In other words, don’t ctrl z to undo the tree, because it’ll undo whatever you did a step before pressing generate as well. If you wanna retry the tree, just delete the model and reselect the template parts.
Each property has default values, so you can just try the defaults and go from there.
If you’re making a tree at a high y position and it makes it unusually short, just up the MaxBranchHeight. I think I did it as a global y position rather than a relative y position. Woops.
I may not ever continue development on this plugin or further polish it, since I mainly just made it as a tool to accelerate the map production of a project I’m working on.
I don’t know if this plugin will be useful for anyone in particular, but I noticed it got some downloads even without me saying hardly a word about it, so I figured I’d put this post up as a usage guide.