Tris count - lag?

If i made a building thats 30k tris, Imported it as separate as i could, Would that have an effect on the games performance?

Does high tris have a big effect on lag?

2 Likes

yea, the game becomes more laggy the higher the amount of tris inside a game. It is why people avoid making buildings with parts now and just use meshes to reduce tris count

2 Likes

Triangle counts are laggy if it hits a really high count in combination of accurate collision. Try reducing the count but also keep the collision a regular box if it does not interact with the player(background environment).

3 Likes

In general, yes. But if you instance assets well, and reserve high poly models for the essential stuff like main characters, then that’s a good expense on that memory budget.

Parts are known geometry in the Client so counting the tris of Parts or other primitives really skews your numbers. Parts shouldn’t be thrown into the same bucket as MeshParts in this sense.

Also, use Memory Usage since it’s much more useful in knowing what is or isn’t “laggy.”

I go into performance optimization tips like what I said above in my RDC 2020 talk. Watch it here:
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/videos/building-worlds-for-game-performance

3 Likes