Trouble with regional gui

Screenshot 2022-08-08 061515
Hello! I made a box where if you walk into it, it shows the gui and displays the name of whatever name you want it to say and then it slowly fades away. There’s something I want to change about it though and I don’t know how to do it. When you go out of the box, the gui doesn’t disappear until it slowly fades away and when you go back in the box, it doesn’t appear again. I am very new to scripting so that’s why I’m asking here. Thank you!

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer or game.Players.PlayerAdded:Wait()
local title = script.Parent.Title
local area = game.Workspace.Area
local toggle = false

while true do wait(1)
	for i, section in pairs(area:GetChildren()) do
		local pos1,pos2 = (section.Position - (section.Size / 2)),(section.Position + (section.Size / 2))
		local region = Region3.new(pos1,pos2)
		local playersFound = game.Workspace:FindPartsInRegion3(region)

for i, playersInArea in pairs(playersFound) do
			if playersInArea:FindFirstAncestor(player.Name) then
				toggle = true
				if title.Text == section.Name then
					--[[ Nothing happens]]
				else
					title.Text = section.Name
					title.Parent.Enabled = true
					for i = 1,0,-0.1 do
						title.TextTransparency = i
						wait(0.2)
						if i == 0 then
							break
						end
					end

wait(1)

for i = 0,1,0.1 do
						wait(0.2)
						if i == 1 then
							break
						end
					end
				end
			else
				toggle = false
			end
		end
	end
end
5 Likes

so the problem with your code rn is that it can only detect wether the player is inside or outside the box once the for loops are finished so to fix this you could use Co-routines: coroutine or you could use tweening: TweenService to smoothly transition the transparency in and out (you set up a tween then do tween:play and the code will move on while its running the transition) additionally tweening would be good as you can set it so that it tweens to the goal transparency then tweens back again to get that fading in and out effect. so if you decide to tween then you can add to your code

...your code...
else
    title.Parent.Enabled = false
end
1 Like

Screenshot 2022-08-08 085340
These things happen when I test out the code.

1 Like
	local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer or game.Players.PlayerAdded:Wait()
	local title = script.Parent.Title
	local area = game.Workspace.Area
	local toggle = false

while true do wait(1)
		for i, section in pairs(area:GetChildren()) do
			local pos1,pos2 = (section.Position - (section.Size / 2)),(section.Position + (section.Size / 2))
			local region = Region3.new(pos1,pos2)
			local playersFound = game.Workspace:FindPartsInRegion3(region)

for i, playersInArea in pairs(playersFound) do
					toggle = true
					if title.Text == section.Name then
						--[[ Nothing happens]]
					else
						title.Text = section.Name
						title.Parent.Enabled = true
						for i = 1,0,-0.1 do
							wait(0.2)
							if i == 0 then
								break
							end
						end

wait(1)

for i = 0,1,0.1 do
							wait(0.2)
							if i == 1 then
								break
							end
						end
					end
				else
					toggle = false
				end
			end
		end
	end
else
	title.Parent.Enabled = false
end

That is the code that is in right now, tell me if I did anything wrong

1 Like

As I said, I’m new to scripting and I have no idea what that even is. Could you explain how to fix it the way I want it or write it out the way I want it maybe? Thank you!

1 Like

Actually nvm. You can use a .Touched event to detect if a player goes in the box and a .TouchEnded if they go outside the box.

1 Like

Alright, could you show me how and where to add that in my code? I don’t know how to use .Touched or .TouchEnded events cause I am very, very new to scripting and by that I mean like I just started days ago.

1 Like

Nvm again. You could use ZonePlus like this

local ZonePlus = require(game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").ZonePlus) -- The zoneplus module
local fol = Instance.new("Folder")
local area = workspace.Area
area.Parent = fol
fol.Parent = workspace
local zone = ZonePlus.new(fol)

This would create a Zone.
To detect if a player goes in the zone you do

zone.playerEntered:Connect(function(player)
-- Code logic
end)

To detect if a player leaves the zone you do

zone.playerExited:Connect(function(player)
-- Code logic
end)

Be sure to have the zoneplus module in replicated storage before you do this (btw you can only create a zone on a folder or model).

1 Like

Can you just show me the .Touched and .TouchEnded way? This makes no sense at all and I don’t want to use ZonePlus.

1 Like

.Touched and .TouchEnded will be much harder since they only fire when the player hits the side of the box. Once the player is inside the box it will fire TouchEnded since the player is no longer touching the side of the box. So I would go with @nonamehd24 answer.

1 Like

Ok well is there any other way to do it than both of those? I’m not using ZonePlus because I don’t want to create a new zone and I wont use the touched stuff cause apparently it doesn’t work. All my point is that I want it so when I leave the zone, the gui will disappear, and when i enter the zone the gui will pop back up. Maybe some sort of loop or something repeating will work but I’m not sure.

1 Like

You should create a hitbox part to detect collision with .Touched event. this is an example
of how you could do that

local hitbox = workspace.Area.hitbox
local plrsInPart = {}

local function plrInPart(part)
    local plr = game:GetService("Players"):GetPlayerFromCharacter(part.Parent)
    if plr then
        return plr
   end
end

hitbox.Touched:Connect(function(part)
    local plr = plrInPart(part)
    if plr and not plrsInPart[plr.Name] then
        table.insert(plrsInPart, plr.Name)
        -- Code logic
    end
end)

hitbox.TouchEnded:Connect(function(part)
    local plr = plrInPart(part)
    if plr and plrsInPart[plr.Name] then
        table.remove(plrsInPart, plr.Name)
        -- Code logic
    end
end)
1 Like

There are others though they aren’t the most efficient, but they should do the trick. You could add an event for .CharacterAdded and calculate if the position of the Characters PrimaryPart is inside the the box using some calculation methods such as if primarypart’s position is inside the position + size it would fire such function and add a debounce so it fires once and when it goes out it would fire another function. I can show you an example if you wanted to. I’m gonna go make something in roblox studio I’ll post my answer when it will work and explain the code.

1 Like

I inserted this in the top of my main script in the area gui where the script is and it kinda works but when i enter it says hitbox then when i re enter it says area and then that cycle just keeps going basically. Could you reply with a correct way to put this in my code with only using 1 part and not 2? Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Alright, I would like an example of the code but aside from that I don’t know what you’re talking about because again, I am a new scripter.

1 Like

Thst example was for a new script which also presumes that workspace.Area.hitbox exists.

1 Like

Also

-- Code logic

is just a place holder for code that handles the gui part

1 Like

This is my example: (edit: I forgot I didn’t need any coroutines)

local function isInside(position1, position2, size2)
    return (position1.X >= position2.X - size2.X / 2 and position1.X <= position2.X + size2.X / 2) and -- X Axis
        (position1.Y >= position2.Y - size2.Y / 2 and position1.Y <= position2.Y + size2.Y / 2) and -- Y Axis
        (position1.Z >= position2.Z - size2.Z / 2 and position1.Z <= position2.Z + size2.Z / 2)
end

local hitbox = game:GetService("Workspace").hitboxPart -- CHANGE THIS TO YOUR PART LOCATION

game:GetService("Players").PlayerAdded:Connect(
    function(plr)
        local gui = plr.PlayerGui:WaitForChild("GuiName")
        gui.Enabled = false
        gui.Parent = plr.PlayerGui
        plr.CharacterAdded:Connect(
            function(char)
                local debounce = false
                while char do
                    wait()
                    if isInside(char.PrimaryPart.Position, hitbox.Position, hitbox.Size) and not debounce then
                        print("Player is inside")
                        -- Add gui to the screen of the player
                        gui.Enabled = true
                        debounce = true
                    elseif debounce and not isInside(char.PrimaryPart.Position, hitbox.Position, hitbox.Size) then
                        print("Player is outside")
                        -- Remove gui from the screen of the player since the player is outside of the box
                        gui.Enabled = false
                        debounce = false
                    end
                end
            end
        )
    end
)

I’m not adding 2 parts. I’m telling you I’m keeping in 1 part, not 2. All I need is a way to make the gui disappear when the player leaves the box and when they enter the box again I want it to show up again. I don’t want to create anything new unless it’s inside the script.

1 Like

I forgot to change it to coroutines. My bad

1 Like