Trouble with TextChatService

Hello everyone! Is it possible to offset each player’s chat bubbles by a different amount using TextChatService? :thinking: I have tried using

TCS.BubbleChatConfiguration.VerticalStudsOffset

as well as

TCS.BubbleChatConfiguration.LocalPlayerStudsOffset

but the offset only appears on the screen and character of the player that sent the message. Does anyone have any possible solutions?

A RemoteEvent that fires to all Players.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t make all players see different chat bubble offsets, would it?

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not possible to set properties for specific players right now, though we are current developing a solution. :happy1:

5 Likes

Do you have a potential estimate on when per-player properties & customization will be released into at least a beta phase? TextChatService is something I really want to use but without something like ChatService Per-User Bubble Customization, I’m very hesitant; especially since LegacyTextChat is supposedly being deprecated. “This class is being deprecated. Use TextChatService instead.

1 Like

Man, I will miss how the LegacyChatService was public and allowed modifications to the system, also I agree on the TextChatService missing a lot of important features such as Bubble Customization and a Channel List.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to exactly when granular bubble chat configuration will be available, though I do know that @daweezy99 has started working on this recently.

1 Like

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the VerticalStudsOffset and LocalPlayerStudsOffset properties of BubbleChatConfiguration in Roblox’s TextChatService are intended for customizing the position of the chat bubble for the local player (the player who is viewing the chat). They are not designed to individually offset the chat bubbles of different players for other players in the game.

Chat bubbles in Roblox are generally managed on a per-player basis, and the customization options for the position of chat bubbles for other players are limited by default.

If you’re looking to create a more unique or customized chat experience where each player’s chat bubble is offset by a different amount for other players, you might need to implement a custom solution by manipulating the positioning of GUI elements in the 3D world using things like BillboardGui or SurfaceGui attached to character parts. However, this could be complex and may not be feasible in all scenarios.

Keep in mind that game development platforms and services like Roblox can evolve, and there might have been changes or new features introduced since my last update. I recommend checking the official Roblox Developer Hub, the DevForum, or other up-to-date sources for any potential changes or new features related to chat bubble customization.