Trusted Editors

The Documentation hub/Developer Hub/Roblox Wiki (what is it called these days?) should allow for community edits by trusted users.

Currently, many documentation entries do not adequately explain how the respective feature works or why it is useful. Take this constructor from the CFrame datatype page for example:

That is all of the information you will find about CFrame.fromMatrix on the Dev Hub. I don’t know what it does, or where I would be using it. Google search is the typical solution:

In this way, the DevForum effectively acts as the community Dev Hub, expanding on the paltry information provided in the “official” documentation.

If I just search every feature on the DevForum, then what is the point of the Dev Hub?

I can remember the original Roblox developer wiki, which had very high quality community-edited articles, lost to time since the introduction of the Dev Hub. There’s no reason we can’t have community articles anymore.

I propose a system where a few dozen “Trusted Editors” are picked from here on the DevForum to have the ability to edit Dev Hub articles, and add new ones as they see fit. Any changes that Trusted Editors make are put into a queue for staff to approve or deny. Roblox staff and interns could be given automatic Trusted Editor status as well.

9 Likes

At RDC, they mentioned that part of their roadmap includes allowing individual contributors to the documentation material. But there’s a few steps before that. Not sure if they had an actual timeline estimate for that though.

6 Likes

There was no timeline for it. They only said that they’re working towards that.

1 Like