Trying to animate custom models with no humanoids

I’m trying to animate custom models, however I can’t figure out how to create a proper custom rig for them nor how to get them to work in the Animation Editor plugin.

I have tried using the plugin “Custom Character Creator” which creates Motor6D instances inside of the mesh to the selected objects. However this method doesn’t seem to be compatible with the Animation Editor plugin.

I’ve heard about animation controllers being a thing, no idea where to start with them though.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to go about using animation controllers, but if you are trying to make a model animated with the use of humanoids I suggest learning how to make one work with the animation editor first, If you know how to do that properly you should have no problem animating it.
Here’s a video to help out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qH1qytIJCc

1 Like

for a rig to be recognized by the animation editor it requires it to be a model with a primary part set, all of the parts that are joined must be descendants of the same model, should have atleast one motor6D and an animation controller to play the animations, roblox recognizes the joints from their names so keep them consistent between animating in studio and playing them on similar or same rigs ingame

How would I set a primary part, or primary parts? Since that’s indeed the issue I’m having right now with it not being recognized by the animation editor.

primarypart is a property of a model, it’s the main part of the model that can be chosen to be whatever you want, in default roblox characters the primary part is the “HumanoidRootPart”, in studio you can go to model -> properties, you will find it there, select and then select the part you want to set it as, through script is’s just as easy as setting a property to a value:
Model.PrimaryPart = anyPart

1 Like

Well, all parts have Motor6D inside setup, and the base part is set. However it still can’t be recognized by the editor.

I guess I worked my way around it by attaching a Dummy rig to the model, it gets recognized now.

Add a humanoid into the model then add an animation controller into the model and open the model in the animation editor and then close it, then a new instance will be inside of the humanoid called animator, drag animator into the animation controller and then delete the humanoid. You now can animate without a humanoid!

4 Likes

wait, do you have to union the humanoid into the model for the model to work