Trying to create a script that changes players team and respawns them once there are at least 2 players

I’m not sure why my current script doesn’t work, but I think it has something to do with the humanoid not loading in. I’ve tried adding v.Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid) as the first line inside the for i, v in pairs loop but that did not help. I also tried adding a wait() as the first line of the while loop and as the first line of the for loop. Neither of those seemed to do anything either.

playersService = game:GetService("Players")
teamsService = game:GetService("Teams")
teamFighters = teamsService.Fighters

while true do
	if #teamFighters:GetPlayers() == 0 then
		if #playersService:GetPlayers() >= 2 then
			for i, v in pairs(playersService:GetPlayers())do
				v.TeamColor = BrickColor.new("Cocoa")
				v:LoadCharacter()
			end
		end
	end
	wait(1)
end

This is the error I get when I run the game with 2 clients.

I’ve checked out this topic but their solution didn’t appear to work for me.

You’re correct that it’s detecting two players before their characters are available. A fix would be counting the number of loaded in character instead of just players.

You could try the following function that tests how many characters have loaded in.

function GetLoadedPlayers()
	local playersLoaded = 0
	for _, player in pairs(playersService:GetPlayers())do
		local character = player.Character
		if not character or not character.Parent then
			print("Character has not loaded in")
		else
			playersLoaded += 1
		end
	end
	return playersLoaded
end

So your loop becomes

while true do
	if #teamFighters:GetPlayers() == 0 then
		if GetLoadedPlayers() >= 2 then
			for i, player in pairs(playersService:GetPlayers())do
				player.TeamColor = BrickColor.new("Cocoa")
				player:LoadCharacter()
			end
		end
	end
	wait(1)
end

Definitely use a pcall in this loop too so it doesn’t break on any errors.

So I tried your solution (i’ll include a picture incase I implemented it wrong, I sort of went over it in my head and think I understand it). While one of the players loads in, the other play does not. I get the same error message as before.

Is this error being triggered by

player:LoadCharacter() ?

If so, may I ask what you are using this for? And additionally, is Players.CharacterAutoLoads disabled?

I’m not sure if it’s being triggered by that to be honest, I’ll send you the error message here.

My plan is to eventually make a king of the hill game. I was going to eventually add a timer but I wanted to fool around with checking players in a team and see if I could use that to respawn the players. Players.CharacterAutoLoads is enabled.

This error appears to be related to a model in your workspace and not the script in question.

Try putting a print statement in your while true script and check to see if it’s running correctly.

The while loop printed. I haven’t added in any models at this point. I never use free models.

Does removing player:LoadCharacter() from your while loop fix it? I don’t currently see the reason for using this as the script is assuming all characters are loaded to start the game anyway.

:LoadCharacter() is what causes the players to respawn though, if I remove that nothing happens.

Again, is game.Players.CharacterAutoLoads set to false? Characters should automatically respawn otherwise.

I probably should have been more specific, the characters start on the Spectators team. I want them to switch to the fighters team if there are 2 or more players.

1 Like

Ah ok, I just discovered some functionality of LoadCharacter() you are using that I wasn’t aware of.

I am still unsure of the cause of the issue and it could be an internal Roblox one seeing it’s happening in a core character script (unless you’re using custom player models). However the error is isolated in the Animation script inside the player and therefore shouldn’t interfere with your game’s main while loop.

Are the character models successfully respawning currently when LoadCharacter is called? If so, unless you see any visual issues with player animations, I would leave it for now.

And an alternative to LoadCharacter() would be teleporting each player to their respective spawn point instead. However this would not work if a player is mid-respawning when this happens so you are definitely right to use your current method.

Sorry I can’t be of much more help but I will keep looking!

1 Like

No problem, you’ve been a lot of help so far. It’s just really weird because only one player will respawn, the other doesn’t. image

So I’ve been working more on this. I’ve created sort of an intermission system that respawns players but it slows down when there are more players. The game in progress loop also just shows up and then disappears. Any advice on how to fix my current script or fix my original script would be helpful. Alternatively any information on intermission systems would be helpful.

local Players = game:GetService("Players")
local spectators = 0
local roundInProgress = false

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	spectators = spectators + 1
end)

while true do
	if spectators <= 1 then
		for seconds = 30, 1, -1 do
			for i, v in pairs(Players:GetPlayers()) do
				v.PlayerGui:WaitForChild("Clock")
				v.PlayerGui.Clock.TextLabel.Text = ("Intermission "..seconds)
				wait(1)
			end
		end
	elseif  spectators >= 2 and roundInProgress == false then
		roundInProgress = true
			for seconds2 = 180, 1, -1 do
				for i, v in pairs(Players:GetPlayers())do
					v.PlayerGui.Clock.TextLabel.Text = ("Game in Progress "..seconds2)
					wait(1)
				end
			end
		roundinProgress = false
		end
	wait(1)
end

Okay, so I finally solved this going back and re-creating my system using functions, which took me a couple days to learn more about. I’m glad I did. I’ll post it here incase anyone is interested.

local spectators = 0
local Players = game:GetService("Players")

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function()
	spectators = spectators + 1
end)

local function startGame()
	end
end

local function startGameTime()
	for gameTime = 300, 1, -1 do
		for i, v in pairs(Players:GetPlayers()) do
			v.PlayerGui.Clock.TextLabel.Text = ("Game time: "..gameTime)
		end
		wait(1)
	end
end

local function startIntermissionTime()
	for intermissionTime = 30, 1, -1 do
			v.PlayerGui.Clock.TextLabel.Text = ("Intermission: "..intermissionTime)
		end
		wait(1)
	end
end

while true do
	if spectators >= 2 then
		startGame()
		startGameTime()
	elseif spectators <= 1 then
		startIntermissionTime()
	end
	wait(1)