Trying to create an afterimage of a player, but player ends up getting stuck inside the afterimage

For my script, essentially when the player presses the G button, the remote event fires into this script in question, which basically clones the character’s body parts, sets them to a transparency in order to mimic an “afterimage” or a “ghost” of the character. The goal was to allow the character to move normally while these “ghost” clone parts mimic the last position of each character body part so it replicates an after-effect.
The issue is that the player gets stuck in the cloned parts and can’t move. I tried to use the PhysicsService collision groups method and I attempted to set the cloned parts and the character model’s parts into their own collision groups and then making them uncollidable. It didn’t seem to work, although when I printed if the groups are collidable, it says they aren’t so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Here is the sample code below:

local userInputService = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local replicatedStorage = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage")
local Clone = replicatedStorage:WaitForChild("Clone")
local debris = game:GetService("Debris")
local physicsService = game:GetService("PhysicsService")
local collisionName = "v1"
local collisionName2 = "v2"
physicsService:CreateCollisionGroup(collisionName)
physicsService:CreateCollisionGroup(collisionName2)
physicsService:CollisionGroupSetCollidable(collisionName, collisionName2, false)

local function setCollision(part)
	physicsService:SetPartCollisionGroup(part, collisionName)
	print(part.Name)
	print(collisionName)
	end

local function setCollision2(part)
	physicsService:SetPartCollisionGroup(part, collisionName2)
	print(part.Name)
	print(collisionName)
end

Clone.onServerEvent:Connect(function(player)
	local character = player.Character
	for _,v in pairs(character:GetChildren()) do
		if v.ClassName == "MeshPart" or v.ClassName == "Part" then
			local v2 = v:Clone()
			v2.Name = v.Name .."2"
			setCollision(v)
			setCollision2(v2)
			v2.CanCollide = false
			v2.CanTouch = false
			v2.Anchored = true
			v2.Transparency = 0.5
			v2.Position = v.Position
			v2.Parent = player.Character
			debris:AddItem(v2, 3)
		end
	end
end)

Maybe I just went about it the wrong way, if someone could give some guidance that would be appreciated!

2 Likes

played around with this for a bit and found that adding v2:ClearAllChildren() after you clone the part fixes the issue, no collision groups needed. i suspect it’s something to do with the welds in the character.

2 Likes

Thanks! I tried it out and it seems to be working now. That’s kinda weird how the welds affect the character position and I’m not too sure how that works… One thing is that it’s a bit laggy though, I’ll try to figure out how to tone the lag down a bit.