Tutorial Requests & Bounties

Then you should edit your code to actually use pcall, it doesn’t make sense if you won’t do it yourself. This is asking for trouble…

Okay. I modified the Pastebin to include a pcall.

Also @EchoReaper, @Cindering, @Wizzy011, please try out the tutorial whenever you have time. If it works, let me know, and I’d be happy to receive the bounties. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had the time to skim over it, but I’ll be leaving for a couple hours shortly so I won’t have time to try it out until I get back. Overall it looks great, but after looking through it it’d be nice to see:

• Can I continually get $10 of free credit in Digital Ocean by using referral links, or can I only do that once?
  • Recommendations for free web hosts for small groups that don’t have the income to afford a paid one
  • Do these servers have issues with their IPs sometimes changing? IIRC when I hosted a MC server I needed to set up a free web address that people could connect to regardless of whether the IP had changed or not. If it’s a similar situation here, it wouldn’t be fun to update your scripts with a new IP every time it changed.
  • Screenshot of where public IP can be found in control panel

I’ll probably PM you some more feedback when I get the chance to try it out.

And wops, I am some minutes late to the party (yay slow internet!).

Just for reference so people don’t need to make one for PHP; http://devforum.roblox.com/t/httpservice-group-promotion-group-kicking-and-setting-a-shout-php/23886

Oh noes we have two threads that are bounty-worthy. I hadn’t thought of what should happen in this case. Do you two want to try to work something out over the bounty?

1. You get the $10 credit for signing up with a referral link.
  2. I don’t have any recommendations for free web hosts at the moment. I’ll look around and add some to the thread.
  3. DigitalOcean servers will not change their public IPs unless you manually change it.
  4. Added a screenshot to the thread.

Not sure what to do over the bounty, honestly. :confused:

1 Like

It’s up to @Programmix1 from my side, as he was some minutes faster… (as I also don’t know honestly :confused:)

Btw @Programmix1 about Digital Ocean and credits (just FYI) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/79928/digitalocean-expiring-credit

I read that thread. I got the e-mail and it says that credit you gain from using the referal links will expire in April. Didn’t know about that. Looks like it’s good reason to use the free credit while you can. :stuck_out_tongue:

Referrals have been a thing for a long time in DigitalOcean. Not sure what’s going to happen after free credit disappears in the way of referrals. We shall see.

So many Http stuff, D:

Did a general Building tutorial for FREEEEEE:

3 Likes

I will think of doing this tonight/tomorrow. I have experiences with using queries, and I know how I can go approach things like value overflow.
I will edit in if I decide to cancel or not.
(I may split up queries and overflow into separate tutorials.)

Does this mean I would start by explaining how to use DataStores, or do something brief, link to the wiki, and continue on with the tutorial?

1 Like

Bounty: <color= green> R$ 1,000
Task: Creating a tutorial that explains how to create a gui that has two frames for slots, one for your inventory and the other for your toolbar, you must also explain how to drag and drop items into empty slots to populate that slot and when if you pick up and item and move it another slot that has another item populating it, those two items need to switch. You must also be able to drag things to and from the toolbar frame. And all of that must be readable to someone who has little experience with guis.

(This is a personal tutorial request for myself and MyCheeze.)

The wiki is generally higher level than the type of people that would be having those types of problems, so yes, you should explain Datastores so even someone without any scripting knowledge is able to understand them. That would get kind of long, so I would recommend splitting it into two tutorials, one for the concept of datastores and basic usage, and a second dedicated towards ensuring data always saves and how it should be saved.

@GuestCapone Does that include any sort of inventory datastore stuff, any items (e.g. making it work with tools located in the backpack), or just random icons randomly placed in the inventory/hotbar that need to be able to be moved?

I think I will pass on the tutorial again. I would prefer not to have to make a whole tutorial on DataStores just to make the other tutorials.

Random icons unless you want to be generous.

@EchoReaper it’d be neat if someone can make a tutorial about the new Constraints.

Oh did you see urist’s post? http://devforum.roblox.com/t/major-roblox-update-for-4-28-16-0-241-0-73233/24602/39

Some of the links already have a small tutorial to help get it started.

1 Like

So, it looks like I can’t edit the OP anymore, but I’m putting a 1000 ROBUX bounty on a tutorial that shows how to create useful charts out of ROBLOX CSVs in Google Spreadsheets or Excel – namely:

• Total revenue per product
  • Total #sales per product
  • Total #sales of all products per platform
  • Total #sales of all products per day/week
1 Like

More tutorial requests (all of the following should be done in Blender):

• How to get rid of duplicate polygons
  • How to use the decimate feature to cut back on polygons (remember – tutorial must be able to be followed by someone who’s never used Blender before). Any extra tips on how to remove triangles without removing detail are also welcome
  • How to texture your mesh in (use any image editor – editing the actual image is outside the scope of the tutorial)
  • How to modify (UV maps?) of meshes to make it so faces look smooth like the ROBLOX sphere even though they’re multiple faces & how to force hard edges even on smooth surfaces
  • How to convert ROBLOX unions to fbx meshes (preferably would link to a mesh decimating tutorial on RBXDev or include one). Start in studio and end with inserting the new mesh to studio. This sounds straightforward, but I imagine there’s always something that could go wrong that would end up with odd things like messed up shading
  • How to create good-looking renders of ROBLOX stuff
1 Like

Sorry for the mega bump, somebody should remake this, lately we have seen many low quality posts under #resources as people don’t know what to do. Not sure if it’s even possible to edit it, I have some suggestions, and I’m sure there are many more we well.

1 Like