Editing Old Posts

Any reason we can’t edit our old posts? It is a useful thing to be able to do for mega threads or pinned threads (or updates to tutorials, etc).

5 Likes

By default, Discourse makes posts un-editable 2 months after posting. I imagine they just didn’t know about it.

What’s the point of that?

Probably as an archive, so all of our highs and lows are visible to future generations.

So that people can’t suddenly change the content of old posts which would mess up the thread. For example you could say “Cats are the most horrible thing on the planet” and I could reply “I strongly disagree with that”, and after months you would still be able to change the content of your post to “Cats are the best thing ever” otherwise.

You could do that a month after the thread instead of two months after the thread was locked. That’s either not the reason the Discourse developers had in mind, or it’s a poorly fleshed out feature.

Some discussion here:

Apparently it’s a setting so we could have unlimited edit time I suppose.

1 Like

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As you can see in the thread buildthomas linked, they say it’s a safety feature. Though unless there’s some technical reason you shouldn’t be able to permanently edit posts, it’d probably be safe here since most people (myself included) that want to edit a 2+ month old post probably want to edit a megathread or feature request.

Bumping because I can no longer update the OP of the RBXDev offices thread. >_<

1 Like

Yup, it is.

2 Likes

Worth noting: Leaders can edit your posts still. In the meantime if you need an old post of yours edited you should contact one of us.

1 Like

@JParty could you consider turning off the edit limit or to increase the duration?

For example @suremark wanted to cleanup this public tutorial that he posted over a year ago, but he can’t anymore because of the edit limit.

See these posts:

We could ask Leaders as @Lilly_S mentions just above here, but that is perhaps a bit impractical.

4 Likes

Figured I should mention I brought this up during RDC to JParty, and it appears he made the change.
Thanks @JParty.

5 Likes

cc @suremark

1 Like