Tweening vs Keyframes

As my first post, I’m grateful to Roblox for allowing me into the Developer Forum. Thank you, Roblox!

Hello everybody! How are you all doing? Hope everything’s going great! Today, I came with a question I had on my mind for the past few days. Which one is ACTUALLY better?

Tweening or keyframes?

I’m currently making a personal plugin that will assist me in my game developing. It will contain features like animating rigs, such as the default animation plugin or the Moon Animator. So, I went on YouTube in order to find some tutorials on it, then I looked on to the API. Luckily, found some info that for those animations, keyframes and such items are used. Although, I thought, will it be OK for me to use tweening instead of the whole complicated keyframing process? That’s where this post leads me to. I’m looking forward to hearing some answers.

– Arid

It depends on your use case. If you want your animations or rigs to work with welds or any joint you should use tweening, but if you want it to work with Motor6Ds only you should use keyframing.

The issue with tweening is that it’s harder to accomplish, since you need to create a table containing your “tween keyframes” and what part or joint they correspond to.

Yeah, I guess I see the problem here. I got some more responses on discord saying that keyframes are a little more better than tweening.

Thanks, for the help!