Two shades of Gold (I'm serious!)

I just discovered that ROBLOX has TWO different colors, BOTH named Gold!

The left one was obtained by setting brickcolor to BrickColor.new(“Gold”)
The right one was selected using the color pallet.

3 Likes

The lighter one has the number 127 and is 0xDCBC81 and the darker one has the number 333 and is 0xEFB838. I wonder when they were both added. I doubt they were both added within a short time span of each other or else someone would have likely noticed duplicates of the color. Nice find.

2 Likes

Personally, I assume they never removed the old Gold color (if that was the old one), and calling BrickColor.new(“Gold”) is causing conflicts. Only reason I am guessing is because there is actually 196 unique BrickColors between 0 and 2048.

1 Like

The right one was added last year when 64(?) additional BrickColors were added to the color pallet. The other Gold is really really old. It was part of the chunk of BrickColors that were removed many years ago and which cannot be used online unless they’re locally changed to one of them.

I suppose this is just one of those cases where a developer forgot there was already another Gold, but this bug shouldn’t go unnoticed.

I just found some more weird issues with BrickColors:

• Rust appears to have the 2 IDs 216 and 345. Both have the exact same RGB value.
  • Deep orange is duplicated as well with IDs 1005 and 1017.
  • Light purple and Tr. Medi. reddish violet also share RGB values.
  • There are 2 Lilacs as well with IDs 219 and 321. They don’t have the same RGB though so its another situation like the one with Gold.
2 Likes

Guys, they’re obviously different if they added new colors.

Joking aside, deep orange had that dupe before the color expansion.

cc @twberg

1 Like