Tying in the toys with a game

Okay, so you know the official toys that come with a code that when entered, give you a unique item? Well, you’re probably aware of most games implementing a system that does something within a game when it notices that a player owns said item. My idea involves taking that concept to a grander scale.

I won’t go much into how the game works concerning someone making my idea, but what I can say is that there’s a huge roster of characters, mostly original ones, but you can unlock characters based on the toys with the item ownership concept.

No, I’m not putting content behind paywalls. The item ownership is only one way to unlock the character (and comparatively the least practical) as you can simply unlock the character using in-game currency without requiring the figure so everyone can still play as them. The game encourages you to grind consistently without paying Robux (although there is still the option for that) or any real-life money whatsoever. (The latter is especially discouraged, and is treated as a special feature alongside the main objective to collect the original characters only available via in-game currency.)

I think I have a good idea here, but I’m scared of any repercussions despite most games implementing the item ownership mechanic such as an event-unrelated game during Halloween last year allowing players to unlock costumes of the toys from Series 1 and 2, as well as many other well-known games outright having photos of the product. (Although the photos are of toys based on that game)

So, is it okay to implement toy support in my game? Collecting all the toys is not required at all, (yet again discouraged but not disallowed) but can I at least implement it as a bonus? Sorry for the long text.

4 Likes

In my opinion, there shouldn’t be any problems with implementing this into a game. I think that it would be an extra + for you if someone from Roblox Corp was to look at your game, since it’s promoting Roblox Toys.

5 Likes

I’d say there’s nothing against it. You could check with PlayerOwnsAssetAsync and work from there. The only problem I would see is if they give a distinct advantage over other players (i.e. owning the Pyrolysis bow tie lets you catch people on fire by clicking on them would be bad, but just giving the player a fire death effect would be fine)

3 Likes

Don’t worry, how my idea works means that anyone as Builderman won’t be able to destroy everyone in sight.