Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

The script editor is only laggy in the full-screen window if I dock it somewhere other than the default window and type there is no lag at all.

43%20PM

I’m going to have to bump this, I’m having the same problem on WINDOWS 10:
rD5uP7tyT9
You can tell when I move my mouse at the end that it’s not the framerate of the gif causing this, and the rest of Studio feels really laggy . What on earth?

6 Likes

Disable GSync or any VSync applied by your graphics card. NVidia should allow you to configure this per application.

5 Likes

Fixed it for me, thanks so much!

3 Likes

Are there any workarounds for mac?

There are three different script editor slowdown issues:

Issue #1 - GSync/VSync is enabled. Solution: disable GSync/VSync for Studio
Issue #2 - Some autocomplete bug. Solution: disable autocomplete in Studio settings
Issue #3 - You made some configuration change to your Mac that doesn’t play well with Studio. Solution: users who have reset their computer after encountering this says that fixed the issue. If you find out what setting you changed, please post it here, as engineers haven’t been able to reproduce this issue yet

(there was also Issue #4 with packages, but I think this was fixed)

4 Likes

Thanks! I restarted my mac and now it works fine! Sadly don’t know what is causing the issue.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is due to a recent Roblox update or not, but I just started experiencing crazy script editor lag, making it nearly impossible to script. I’ve tried restarting my computer, re-downloading Roblox, messing w/ some settings, but nothing seems to fix it. Typing is working smooth everywhere except on the script editor in Studio.

Here’s whats happening:
https://gyazo.com/a9214c7c61c6ea8e9cdc5e50b464c82b

8 Likes

Oh boy… Just installed studio on my mac to see if I could reproduce it, and there is definitely noticeable lag when using the script editor, along with a general sluggishness to the rest of studio. I know many people who script on mac, so this should be looked into quickly.

1 Like

This is not a new bug, it is notably occurring in High Sierra too. They have stated that they could not reproduce the issue on their laboration around it.

Most interesting thing is that Studio is occupying excessive amount of CPU while it’s lagging, there is no direct cause of it.

1 Like

Last time I checked, Studio was occupying 40% of the CPU. Studio itself isn’t that laggy, it’s just the script editor.

I’m on a Mac and I’ve had this same issue for months and months without a real solution. You can drag the script editor panel out like in this picture and the lag goes away. You just have to deal with the annoyance of dragging the script panel out every time you open a new script.

5 Likes

I am in windows 10, can confirm this happens, HOWEVER none of the solutions provided fixes this issue. I also tried disabling V-Sync/GSync, but my monitor doesn’t even support it so it won’t even come up in the display settings for Nivida Control Panel. The only fix to this problem is to open a empty baseplate and script on there and copy and paste the code from there to your main game which is extremely annoying.

Update: I tried to disable V Sync for Roblox Studio only and it was the same thing.
https://gyazo.com/35daaabe724a2206ec71ab91df7e9f4a

1 Like

The MacOS issue still persists and it’s still annoying me. I have resorted to copy-pasting between off-Studio script editor to Studio. Any updates?

Note: Restarting the device did not solve the problem.

factory reset is really the only option for Mac users with this issue

1 Like

Yep, that fixed it for me quite a while ago. Sadly, it’s the only option.

This is pretty slow but I think it started when I tried disabling auto close brackets and stuff but the only solution I used is using studio in a different user on mac.

Currently experiencing since I believe about 2 studio updates ago.

Mac stats:

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 19.34.16

@brayden99’s solution worked but as he stated highly inconvenient

I recently wiped my mac and downgraded from Catalina to macOS High Sierra and it resolved most of my studio issues. Of course it was very annoying backing up all my files and downgrading the operating system but as much as I’m on Roblox it was worth it. I’m upset that it came to wiping my mac and reinstalling everything just to get proper support for Roblox.

1 Like

As a previous mac user the only known fix is to completely factory reset the computer or wait for the problem to magically go away. (Aside from dragging the script editor out as a separate window, but that is extremely annoying)

Changing the screen’s profile settings–as Roblox suggested before–does absolutely nothing.

My Experience:

I have come across this problem twice so far, and the first time I fixed it I had factory reset the Mac. This was after maybe a month of dealing with intense lag on the editor and working in my scripts with the editor on a separate window dragged out. It totally fixed it.

Second time I encountered this problem it went away within two weeks. I did nothing to change it, and just randomly disappeared.

TL;DR
Roblox prioritizes Windows so don’t bet on a fix. Factory resetting is the way to go.