UGC Catalog is Now Live!

Past you from 17 hours ago would care to disagree as you clearly stated that Roblox needs to put limits on what can be uploaded:

While somebody you were responding to talked about retexturing, you proposed the solution of an outright ban on fedoras and dominuses because “we have enough in the normal catalog”. In addition, it sounds like you weren’t talking about just retextures as you said the purpose of UGC needs to be for new and original creations.

6 Likes

i’m not convinced there’s many more ways to retexture these popular catalog items for them to still qualify as “new and original” (items i would prefer to see). I think it’s a wasted opportunity to stick to these old assets. Time to get creative.

To clarify, different models of the same concept are perfectly fine imo. Then the question arises of, who decides it is “different” enough?

also, this was more of an opinion than a legitimate proposal

10 Likes

Another concern that has just appeared is the oversized hats just to be comedic. Are we expected to see limitations on this?

Personally I believe developers shouldn’t have to take in consideration and make accomidations to these very extremely large hats

Ex:image

Now with that being said, I think that large hats make sense if they look normal being that way
EX:

16 Likes

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but is there a system preventing UGC creators from uploading hats with 1024x1024 textures? This is very common with shirts & pants which is a large bottleneck for performance on large games. Players carrying ~10mb on them is already annoying, imagine doubling that.

18 Likes

The current limit is 248x248 256x256 iirc

6 Likes

Could you give any examples of shirts and pants using 1024x1024 textures? As far as I can tell, there’s only one pair of pants which goes past the usual 585x559, a pair of 1219x1165 pants uploaded by Roblox.

Roblox is bringing in client side crashes for... HD default pants - #3 by Spectaqual

As for 1024x1024 textures, while Beeism has tweeted that the limit is supposed to be 256x256 right now, I have seen that there are multiple UGC hats with 512x512, and 1024x1024. Outside of UGC, there are some examples of going past the usual 256x256. The occasional 512x512, and as far as I know, at least one 1024x1024 and one 1000x1000.

Roblox DOES try to squish everything inside a character into a single 1024x1024, as shown by this example image, but considering Amazeman’s post highlighting that the HD pants are an issue, I’m not sure if this helps with the fact that the original file sizes are still rather large.

Example Character 1024x1024 Texture

12 Likes

That’s nice but doesn’t answer my questions;

5 Likes

Wow, didn’t know that!

From past experience when searching for memory bottlenecks I commonly find shirts/pants from players take up the most. I’m just assuming the canvas size is 1024x1024 because Roblox compresses stuff iirc.

Here’s a quick example I just got when jumping into a game:

7 Likes

Ah. The pants texture is indeed a regular 585x559. It could be a large size due to other factors, but I don’t know too much on how images are saved so that’d be better off for someone more experienced to answer here.

7 Likes

Although this is a great shift in the dynamics of the Roblox catalog, this could pose some serious implications on users with lower end devices.

If in the future, a large quantity of the UGC catalog were to be uploaded at or near the max poly limit, what would that do to, say, a lower end phone with only 512MB of RAM? To make matters worse, you can also pair up that high poly model with an equally high resolution image, and the end result would be quite disastrous. Although that would look visually appealing, and would probably look more attractive to the average Robloxian than an optimized competing accessory, it puts an even greater burden on us developers to maintain that our games work on all platforms.

On an off note, in RDC2019 they showed off a new lighting model that presumably lets you add normals and roughness to objects. They had showed it off on a sword model. Are there any plans to have it also carry over to the UGC catalog?

9 Likes

Roblox’s catalog items are hardly optimized in terms of poly count. Some of them scrape the 5k poly mark, so that concern is already reality. Textures are a capped size, too, at 256x256. Roblox knows that mobile devices are the weakest devices.

9 Likes

Will this eventually every be available to everyone? The they worded the answer to expanding the feature to more developers over-time makes it sound like it’s going to be a feature exclusive to certain people forever.

6 Likes

No, it will be avaible to everyone probably by the end of 2020 or later. They need first check if there is demand for these, create anti-copying system and implement other things. But for sure it will be avaible for everyone like clothing.

8 Likes

Honestly, allowing it to everyone sounds very accident prone and therefore they might not do it.
I thought of a few scenarios where they might place which will limit the users allowed to upload. An example of this would be clothing; requiring BC / Premium.

• Fee when uploading
  • Requires ROBLOX Premium
  • Verified Email

Of course allowing it to everyone would be amazing but as seen with shirts and a difficult to solve problem reguarding asset duplicates, these are potential aids to a solution to the problem they might employ.

16 Likes

Even if the content owned by ROBLOX stays on ROBLOX, the user is still violating copyright because the user generated content derives from ROBLOX assets and because the ugc affects the value of the ROBLOX base asset.

4 Likes

It is bound to happen so I might as well ask.

How will moderated assets that were purchased be affected excluding the item being removed from the catalog. Will it be the same as clothing, the thumbnail is reset to a blank icon and whoever bought the asset be out of luck and lost their money, or will the buyer receive their money back?

I am referencing receive their money back because the asset may not be inappropriate but it may be a copy of another hat and the player might’ve not known; (unlike the case where the hat is clearly inappropriate and they shouldn’t have bought it in the first place)

5 Likes

Seeing that @DieSoft has made over 1,900 USD in robux since the release of UGC from his 5 hats, I believe the tax rate is very fair.

13 Likes

Just some feedback I’d like to leave. Please keep this approval or invite only, or make the guidelines for approvals very high.

Overall, I love this system and can’t wait for it to be in the hands of more talented users.

5 Likes

What’s sad is that when more people get elected to create new items, their items likely won’t be relevant because the current items will likely be featured later on. Roblox is practically boosting the popularity of select creators while making future creators possibly have to work especially hard to make their products “popular”.

8 Likes

Inaccurate numbers, and I find it funny that you decide to use me as an example considering that I have managed to sell the most amount of hats overall out of all creators and that is only because I was lucky Tim the Fungus blew up. Meaning that if I didn’t have that thing, my sales numbers would be very very different.

In the future, if you want to make a point about people making “too much money”, “fair taxation” or anything in that direction that ties into peoples livelihood. Don’t use the top-earning individual as your foundation to your argument about taxing every UGC creator from now and into the future. Look at the average instead, and you will get a much more realistic perspective.

Besides, as the UGC catalog grows it will be increasingly difficult to get your hats out there, especially when we get a large community of creators to make new creative hats each week. We also have the fact that the individual creator comes up with the design, model the mesh, UV map, texture then finally name and write the description for the hat. In other words, more or less the whole creative process is made by the creator.

I just find your belief of “fair tax rates” to be pretty short-sighted and kind of skewed as you are only looking at the top and ignoring the rest. I won’t give my opinions on anything else regarding this.

Ciao.

Extra edit regarding the last part about it becoming increasingly difficult as I feel that might worry some of you, I figure it is best that I at least give you a few words of comfort:
All of us who currently have access to making UGC are very passionate about the platform and the success of this project. It is in our best interest, as well as yours, that Roblox get this right from the start and we are very open with our opinions and actively provide feedback whenever possible. This is not just me saying this as I am a part of this program early on. But I have faith in that Roblox can do this right, as evident of Matt’s speech at RDC, how careful they have been with moving forward with this and how open they are to listen to our feedback. This will work out, and it will be great.

34 Likes