UGC Catalog is Now Live!

If I recall the RDC talk correctly, Roblox would like for everyone to have access to this feature near the end of 2020. But they did have Will require a “verified creator account” as a bullet point.

3 Likes

Well, imaginations can finally run even bigger than ever before!
I hope to see a lot of great work from the developer community. I also hope this encourages people to make even more content for our Robloxians! Question, are we seeing more than just hats? Like faces, packages, etc.

8 Likes

Hats are the current limitation. This feature will eventually expand to all that at a later point. This feature is progressing so expect some updates coming by from time to time expanding what these UGC creators can do. Expect to see awesome creations from every part of the catalog! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That would be interessting actually. The chicken hat (And many others with sound effects) have scripts that controlls them. It will be interessting to see if we can do those kinds of hats as well.

5 Likes

This is what I was looking for with UGC Items can’t wait to see the events that developers come up with.

(Spoiler) What I was thinking for one of my games I'm working on.

I was thinking of giving a hat or something as a prize to teams of players. even if they don’t get the main prize they’d get a participation prize, however only time will tell as we have to wait to see how Roblox will handle UGC items as prizes.

Giving out UGCs as prizes shouldn’t be much of a issue in my opinion especially seeing how Roblox events have been in the past, the item given isn’t for sale, yet after completing something in game you get it. It’s been a while since I’ve participated in an event, but If I recall correctly a lot of these events that involve games giving items are also linked to the game giving a badge; so that could be one way of doing it.

Looking forward to possibly seeing events lead by the community, especially around the holidays.

7 Likes

This is an disadvantage to traders also if people start making good items for cheap this might ruin roblox’s econemy

7 Likes

The lowest item price right now is 120.

However, please don’t assume that the Roblox engineers and product managers are not aware of these concerns already. They are well aware of the issues with shirt and pants that occurred when Roblox boomed. The same mistakes will not be made, and they know there are radical negative ramifications that can occur with the economy if they don’t take their time and do this right.

8 Likes

Ok lets wait and see, they need to kinda make devs not make cheap things for good I know that sounds weird like I think roblox should decide the price

3 Likes

A) To prevent inflation of Robux, a tax is extremely likely to happen.

B) They would be subject to the same rules as models, with more of an emphasis on not copying other people’s work.

12 Likes

This great option to be added to Roblox, can’t wait for this to be released to the public in the near future, but I think it will best for to be invite-only, or an application.
But I hope put’s good security to prevent duplicates.
In my opinion, this is a huge step in the right direction.

8 Likes

Yes indeed, I hope there will be a duplicate monitoring system. Or people will just copy the sparkle time fedora and just pay 15 robux for it.

5 Likes

Yikes, we don’t want that to happen.
I don’t mind if people make a new version of a sparkle time hat. But keep duplicates off the market.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the ugc hats are checked before they are put onsale/published anyway. Plus, I don’t think retexturing is allowed either and the minimum price is 120 robux.

3 Likes

Thats good to know ! But can I create my own too?

7 Likes

So far, the current people that can were “hand picked”, so for now the answer is probably a no. But they will definitely let more people do it eventually.

8 Likes

Roblox events, anyone? Let’s get some seasonal events back and this time, the community runs the show!

I think this is what they want! I’m excited to see how this turns out!

13 Likes

This is so amazing! I can’t wait until the community creation catalog has over 1000 items to choose from.

Cons: People can recolor and reshape Roblox original hats and make them as their own.
Pros: Developers can now make hats that are more detailed and creative.

Future Ideas: Community Creation Catalog should add custom emotes, animation and packages.

7 Likes

Scared, but in a good way!
I’ve been waiting for this feature since the announce in 2017 (or 2016 idk).

I’m still amazed Roblox didn’t forget about this feature, especially considering how long ago it was announced. I’m glad Roblox waited and took their time with this update though. Re-uploaded dominuses aren’t really my thing.

Although there’s still the concern of IDR’ing (ID reuploading), and multiple other concerns, I’m still extremely excited to see the communities’ impact on the catalog!

Bravo! :clap:

4 Likes

Honestly, when the UGC slowly gets more available, people will only be allowed to upload with Premium, as this is the same case with shirts and pants and will stop (most) bot accounts, a fee to upload them would also be nice on top of that, so you cant just spam the UGC with like 50 hats really quickly

3 Likes

I think UGC should be for normal developers and not premium developers because not everyone can have BC etc … like for example: Brazil

6 Likes