UGC Catalog is Now Live!

Tbh I didn’t even remember that this was a thing. I was basing all of it on my recollection of the keynote itself.

5 Likes

Is there a way to apply for UGC? How did the current creators become UGC creators right now?

6 Likes

Roblox choose the creators at the moment.

3 Likes

Best way to get in is to post your examples to a portfolio on the devforum or make a twitter thread showcasing your ugc work with the hashtag RobloxDev

4 Likes

That’s not the case. They only work with people who they’ve worked with beforehand.

8 Likes

Honestly, for awhile now I have noticed Roblox highly favoring certain small circles of developers, and those same developers sucking up to the platform. This was actually a major problem with events, as they would choose like a handful of games/developers to work with and wouldn’t expand much beyond that. I get it, they are able to trust these people that they have already worked with, but for a platform about working from the ground up and growing your developer skills, and supporting new aspiring developers, they offer very few opportunities to developers beyond the small handful that have gotten all of the praise within the past few years.

Also, slightly related, what happened to live-ops? Those things were suppose to replace events and give more opportunities to more developers, But I haven’t seen them for a few months.
Edit: Nevermind, I looked it up and found this- An update on Live Ops

5 Likes

I dislike how Roblox privileges certain users over others in cases like this one. If UGC is still in testing shouldn’t Roblox restrict UGC to official staff accounts? If Roblox is going to release a major feature, Roblox should make it available for all users, or just restrict it to staff-only. It is not fair that Roblox is only allowing privileged users to create UGC and not allowing other less-known users to create UGC.

I consider features that anyone can use with or without specific steps to access it. For example, the developer forum isn’t something I would consider “privileged” because anyone who reads and browses enough can get in, theres no bias in it. (Of course, if the manual application process was still in place, I would consider the developer forum to be similar to UGC).

If that’s the case, I don’t consider “UGC” to be called UGC. Instead UGC should be called “Free Robux for Entitled Users”

Well Roblox, can you please make UGC open to new developers. I know you’re worried about people copying from the current catalog, but your ‘hand-picked’ creators are copying from the catalog, even more recently. There is simply no good reason why UGC can’t be opened to more new developers.

I don’t see this as a problem anymore. People steal images and models off-site all the time for shirts and games. If a UGC creator gets into a legal issue about copyright, it’s not a problem for Roblox or other users.

We are under no obligation to edit or control UGC that you or others Provide, and will not be in any way responsible or liable for UGC. We may, however, at any time and without prior notice, screen, remove, edit, or block any UGC that in our sole judgment violates these Terms or is otherwise objectionable. You understand that when using the Service, you will be exposed to UGC from a variety of sources and acknowledge that UGC may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. You agree to waive, and do waive, any legal or equitable right or remedy you have or may have against us with respect to UGC. If notified by a user or content owner that UGC allegedly does not conform to these Terms, we may investigate the allegation and determine in our sole discretion whether to remove the UGC, which we reserve the right to do at any time and without notice. For clarity, we do not permit copyright-infringing activities on the Service. Please alert us of any inappropriate UGC or other materials you find on the Service.

This states that Roblox isn’t responsible for its users’ User Generated Content and if a UGC hat creator runs into a copyright issue, all Roblox has to do is to remove that hat. So I think it is time for Roblox to start opening up UGC for more developers.

Adding on to that, perhaps Roblox could simplify some of the legalese written in the terms and maybe create a checkbox instead of a “By Clicking Sign up, you agree to…”. Simplifying the legalese written in the terms would make it seem like Roblox wants its users to actually read the terms, not simply agree to them, which in return would make that disclaimer more legally binding.

Like this post if you agree, don’t like it if you disagree.

7 Likes

I’ll be responding to both of you here.

It’s about them making sure that no one would be leaking information on something as important as a platform changing update. It’s easier to trust someone who you know will follow the NDA rather than have someone completely new to them talk about it left and right. Let’s not forget tho that they did reach out to the international communities for UGC creators too.

I dislike how you’re using this word freely. They worked really hard to earn their trust and the developer side’s skills also prove that they’re more than worthy of being a part of the project. Yea we did have some bad apples here and there but calling them privileged will only upset those who run the program.

I don’t know if you’re aware of a certain group on Roblox called the Q&A Team. They’re the one testing different sort of stuff for Roblox and what’s the best part of it is that they’re 100% people from the community! I don’t think that Roblox even hires enough staff for testing to begin with.

Now that is rude… most besides 1-2 people there aren’t EnTiTlED or PrIvLeDgEd like you claim they are. They’ve put years of work into their craft and they’re genuinely nice people. If you want to point fingers, I’d say that you’re the one being entitled here.

Actually it is a problem for them because it’s the company that gets the DMCA notice and not the developer itself. Why’d you think that Roblox was the first one to be notified about the DMCA claim on Pokemon Brick Bronze from Nintendo instead of the devs themselves? Also how do you not see a problem in stealing someone’s work? It’s just as bad as piracy.

I don’t think so. With the recent stuff with Ant’s Pee Parrot, I believe that the program isn’t good enough QA wise yo be fully released. They said it themselves that they’re gonna be taking things slowly on this update.

Those legalities can’t be “simplified” since it’s a legal document. You just don’t simplify legal documents. If you don’t understand something under the ToS/CG then it’s best to ask someone older/knowledgeable for help.

2 Likes

I have to say that some features should be restricted to official Roblox staff (e.g, future update notices, Roblox administrator guidelines, administrative pages)

I’m not saying that info about future updates should be leaked to the public. It should be restricted to Roblox staff, interns, Q&A testers (i think they are staff). But if certain users that aren’t official staff, intern, etc get info or a new feature, shouldn’t everyone else get it too? I don’t see why not.

And aren’t Q&A testers considered to be staff? (I don’t know how they work, but since they aren’t normal users, I consider them to be staff).

5 Likes

No QA testers aren’t staff. They’re people from the community doing the testing voluntarily and no I disagree about keeping testing features to themselves. Roblox has a really bad history of updates that had to be revamped countless times because they tested it among themselves rather than have a group of players test it. This is something they actually are doing right right now.

9 Likes

Ok, I agree that some information should be restricted to staff or Q&A testers. I wouldn’t necessarily consider them to be “privileged”. However, I do consider the current UGC creators privileged, for these reasons:

1. Roblox is only picking them because they are notable and/or the’ve worked with Roblox before.

2. They get to monopolize the market and if the UGC catalog is open to new developers in the future, they can continue to cash off their fame and continue to surpass all the smaller creators (unless we remove their permissions later, which I think should be done).

3. They are selected by a manual approval process which is prone to a lot of bias.

I seriously hope Roblox opens up UGC to newer creators since it’s been over six months already, and it is very unfair to developers that are in the outer circle which is a majority of developers.

̶̶ ̶D̶i̶s̶c̶o̶u̶r̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶i̶c̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶"̶b̶y̶p̶a̶s̶s̶"̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶~̶7̶h̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶d̶.̶
̶
̶ ̶D̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶i̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶o̶v̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶v̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶.̶
̶*̶ ̶F̶e̶w̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶u̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶,̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶l̶o̶x̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶U̶G̶C̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶v̶i̶l̶e̶g̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶u̶y̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶l̶o̶x̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶s̶.̶
̶
̶

5 Likes

what are you saying my guy. Of course roblox would only pick them if they’re notable. You have to gain trusts to be able to do things like this, otherwise UGC will just turn into the t-shirts/shirts catalog…

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Roblox could implement a CAPTCHA to upload UGC items and we could allow only dev-forum Roblox premium users to create UGC. No one wants to waste ~7h of time just to upload botted or “bypassed” hats just to have them removed very quickly. Roblox could already solve the clothing issue by doing a mass wipe on shirts & pants that have repeated names such as “SUIT SUIT SUIT SUIT SUIT…”.

3 Likes

Still, People would run out of ideas Reaaaal quick and would resort to either making copies of others works, or just finding someone else’s mesh on the internet and uploading it for some quick robux. Modeling ain’t easy and the people who do the UGC’s are getting the recognition and robux they deserve.

1 Like

I disagree. There are many people who are good at 3D modeling and aren’t as notable in the Roblox community. It’s not even hard to make a medium-quality model (you can do it in RStudio). Currently, there are a very limited amount of UGC creators and they are earning a ton of Robux off 1 hat. The amount of Robux they earn even rivals the amount that popular game developers make, and it takes much more effort to make a game than to make a single 3D model.

Currently, Roblox is making UGC a feature only to a small circle of developers which I dislike, because they are excluding over 99.99% of the community. Roblox should make features that are available to everyone, unless in testing or if it’s supposed to be a premium feature such as the trading system. (Roblox does need to have a source of income).

I think the good effects of opening up UGC outweighs the bad effects. UGC should be open to everyone, not just a small circle of users that only get to create because they are well-known.

̶B̶y̶ ̶"̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶o̶n̶e̶"̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶U̶G̶C̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶U̶G̶C̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶.̶
̶
̶ ̶ ̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶U̶G̶C̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶m̶m̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶b̶i̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶o̶v̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶V̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶i̶c̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶~̶7̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶a̶p̶p̶r̶o̶p̶r̶i̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶y̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶l̶o̶x̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶i̶n̶u̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶$̶4̶.̶9̶9̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶l̶o̶x̶’̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶.̶
̶
Replying to you @Broken_Chainz Roblox could easily remove the mesh ID stealing system. If UGC is to become open to new developers in the future, the mesh ID system would likely be the most common way of copying other people’s hats. If Roblox could change this feature before opening up the UGC catalog, there would be very little copied hats and the ones that are copied would likely be moderated. Not to mention the ~7h read time and Roblox premium required would deter most potential hat copiers.

3 Likes

Agreed with ugc people should come up with original stuff not unoriginal copy made to get the pockets more more so if any developers get access to ugc make come up with original ideas
Good day- axolotlmytimev2

4 Likes

This would be good if we had UGC items that haven’t been created by Roblox or a UGC Creator. This mean a original ideas.

4 Likes

I’ve read your other posts here and I’m honestly not sure if you’re aware that UGC will be open to everyone in the future.

1 Like

Agree to disagree, but taking the Devforum as an example, it’s a place where you would see no bots but there is an obvious amount of people on the collab sub that are just there to make Robux, and having those type of ppl, (even for UGC creators now) is something that shouldn’t be allowed. It just seems like a big step from UGC clothing to UGC accessories.

2 Likes

DevForum membership doesn’t relate to development skill, nor should it be used as a ‘badge of honour’. That’s why there isn’t a ‘DevForum top hat’.

5 Likes