UGC Catalog is Now Live!

By copied hats are you referring to the retextured ones? This is something which I believe is quite integral to the ROBLOX catalog. Many limited hats are rextextures and really form almost ‘a family of hats’ which is greater for collection purposes. I feel as if this is a good move to allow these but perhaps within good limit, as well as putting bounds for the cost of the hat.

53 Likes

Would we be able to devex the robux from UGC sales though? I would imagine so if we can with clothing sales.

63 Likes

No, I am referring to the copies between Downtown Denizen Fedora and The Classic ROBLOX Fedora, as well as the Black Bowler and Elegant Bowler.

43 Likes

That’s so cool!! I’m pretty excited to see the new types of items made by the developer community :grinning:

Btw is it just me, or are the forward/backward arrows on the 2nd page of community creations really missing?

48 Likes

Not just you, it was reported a bit earlier

56 Likes

What is your guys’s view on retextures? I know I want to retexture the crimson claw package to be white with blue eyes and such. I also want to separate the wings into a separate back accessory so they can be big again. Will this be allowed?

50 Likes

I think retextures should have a COMPLETELY different moderation system than meshes. Because there’s not much stopping people from ripping a texture from a hat and just hueshifting it. That’s not a retexture, that’s recoloring!

47 Likes

I’m glad that moderation tools are expanding. The current shirts and pants catalog is flooded is copies of other creators’ creations selling at a lower price, botted clothing groups, , etc. I’m interested to see what the long term solution is, as this is a daunting (and i’m sure difficult) problem to solve.

Even though the official Roblox egg hunts are over, i’m excited for the surplus of community made egg hunts (and other creative uses of the API) this update will create!

Despite this, I still must ask: Do you have a ballpark estimate for when this will be released to everyone? Will you need a special membership to upload this UGC, such as a certain tier Premium membership?

44 Likes

Yep, I agree with you on this one.

My retexture would not be just a simple hueshift, it would also add more visual details (i.e. more details to the eyes).

41 Likes

What’s to stop people from putting scripts in the hats that let the person wearing it do whatever they want?

60 Likes

That’s actually a very good question. I believe they won’t be allowing scripts to be inserted into hats like the oldschool ones. The obvious reason being security, and moderating UGC scripts would take too long/would be a tedious process.

39 Likes

This is actually a good question to raise because it was done with gears before, not naming any incidents or persons in particular. UGC catalog will demand for automation and scalability at large and filtering out things like this needs to be done as well. Perhaps it’ll be a pre-upload verification step that they add.

35 Likes

I don’t believe we’re going to see scripts anytime soon. And if we were, it would most likely be related to gears, which I also think is going to be a stretch given that gears are ALREADY seeing a shift from functionality to cosmetic. How many functioning gears have been released in the past year again?
Definitely a concern for malicious scripts if this feature does see the light of day, though!

38 Likes

In my opinion, you can’t retexture for a model that ready released by Roblox. You should come to something new, something fresh!

41 Likes

This was my fear upon hearing the announcement of the UGC update.
The fact that content creators are taking a cut directly from the sales of items they create.
Disclaimer: I’m all for people being paid for hard work.
However, this system can easily be manipulated and without strict anti-copy rules this is encouraging poor business practices.

Essentially by permitting only a few dozen content creators to create items and allowing them a percent of the sales of items they create, this bottle-necks the market so that a few creators can monopolize the revenue from future catalog items. If content creators can create items without consequence such as Downtown Denizen Fedora, which as @WhoseTrade pointed out is a near-clone of The Classic ROBLOX Fedora, content creators can ride off the reputation, fame, and icon-recognition of widely-known catalog items and reap massive amounts of robux.

The issue lies in that they have no competition and if they successfully clone a well-recognized item from the catalog, they are protected from competition from other UGC-creators. Therefore, if they’re allowed to copy an original catalog item, they establish a monopoly on that item.

62 Likes

Roblox makes retextures every now and then I think if it is moderated then it is ok.

35 Likes

True, but they where making retextures of there own hats and it was before UGC.

32 Likes

Currently it looks like the user hats are treated in the same way as the Roblox made hats in that their data type is a model, so I guess it will up to the Roblox moderators to stop people from adding in malicious scripts. Or they could just make it so when you go to make a UGC hat all you upload is the mesh/texture/offset, and that’s all you get to customize.

38 Likes

Quick question, by other assets do you mean only hats, hairs and shoulder items, or do you mean animations, gears and packages?

30 Likes

I think for now it will only be “Accessory | Hat”, but they might expand that in the future.

33 Likes