UGC Catalog is Now Live!

I do have one question about the system. What if people make dominus since they were a limited item ?

33 Likes

The thing is that in the end game, this won’t do if Roblox hopes to open up the catalog to the community. It’s not a scalable solution and this kind of stuff needs to be stopped right at the point between Studio and uploading it to the site.

Blocking the asset if it has scripts in it would be intuitive to notify users that they need to make corrections before uploading it. Automatically removing it may not work and it’s not transparent to the uploader.

29 Likes

That would likely be moderated.

29 Likes

Okay thanks for the feed back.

26 Likes

The main problem is, you would not want someone making a reskined dominus and selling it for like 200 robux. That would completely take the value out of it.

33 Likes

I think allowing certain Retextures could bring elements of creativity into play. For example look at the Revolver skins and Knife skins people have made for games. You could take a hat and Make it look great.

26 Likes

I believe the best system to instantly detect untampered official Roblox models is to have it scan their (Roblox) own mesh library to see if the uploaded mesh is in fact the same model as one that was already uploaded by them. While this would also affect retexturing for ALL official hats, it could definitely be an option. This, however, doesn’t solve slightly altered models. I’m sure they’ll find a super solution!

36 Likes

I am referring to Hats within the reasonable range. Not Limiteds.

23 Likes

I hope this becomes highly accessible to the community eventually.

However, given how many people use ROBLOX on a daily basis, I doubt UGC will be open to the majority of the community. I am willing to wager it will only be accessible to developers (for the time being at least)

The quality of hats if everyone was able to use UGC would be very poor. I doubt UGC will ever reach the ends of the entire community but it’s still a neat feature regardless. I love the Bloxy Cola caps

30 Likes

Will UGC accessories be allowed to contain particle emitters or scripts?
For example https://www.roblox.com/catalog/169444515/Rbadams-Smokestack-Top-Hat

72 Likes

Been looking forward for this for a long time. A lotta my friends from the Retexture Artists Official Channel are coming back to make our own models and textures, myself included.

Made some goggles that look nifty; looking forward to when more accessory types get added.

22 Likes

Roblox retexture their models, not models created by any other developers

24 Likes

I think I am going to give it a chance at least. I still think it could be a good way to get started though.

18 Likes

It may be a cool update, I can’t wait what will happen in the future!

I’m just kinda worried about people copying assets and then reuploading them, like Roblox limiteds, etc.

22 Likes

Once the copying issue is settled will it be applied to clothing too? I haven’t designed in months because of it.

If someone copies a hat that someone released as a Free Model and uses it what happens? You can’t DMCA an open source asset in that case I believe.

I know we’re allowed to sell Roblox hats and gears freely in games as accessories, does this apply to UGC? Or can we get a DMCA?

21 Likes

This is awesome!

Were comments intentionally enabled on UGC or was that by mistake?

19 Likes

I don’t foresee this being an issue in the initial wave, and this may be bit of a rhetorical question but, do you have plans to moderate how an accessory is categorized?

I can entertain the thought of someone abusing the category system as a way to bypass the hat limit.
For example, one could intentionally mislabel what clearly is a ‘hat’ or ‘face’ asset as a ‘front’ or ‘waist’ accessory to inadvertently ‘gain’ an extra hat slot because the latter categories are seldom used by ROBLOX.

In effect, this would lead to a degeneration of the UGC Catalog and degrade the effectiveness of the catalog filter functionality. I would get to wear like five or six hat accessories at once, so thats a bonus. :wink:

27 Likes

That looks nice but it is an Imperfectly Illegitimate Businessman hat with a santa hat on top, Will it be allowed to use stuff made by Roblox?

https://www.roblox.com/catalog/186956940/Imperfectly-Illegitimate-Businessman

32 Likes

I have a suggestion for UDC not being copied. If you can find a way to view uploaded files/meshes and make sure they are not too similar to certain ones (e.g. dominuses, fedoras, etc.) then that is top level prevention. I think that texture stealing is a thing too. My solution for that is you prevent image stealing in the same way.

17 Likes

How would us smaller developers go about being selected in the future for this as it states its an ongoing discussion? Maybe some way to apply or something or games that have been part of a sponsorship before, like with our game Galaxy. Just curious. Thanks!

36 Likes