UGC Catalog is Now Live!

I agree

people don’t realize that when someone uploads the funny quirky blender normal or purposefully poorly made hat for the the memes XD, it feels like a huge slap in the face for all the talented people who had their nominations denied. It is extremely heart-wrenching to watch the catalog get loaded up with garbage while people with real talent are denied the ability to access said market.

With the applications process being stonewalled and on the verge of being thrown out, what chances does the average user have of getting access to the ugc market?

If we return to the previous nominations process, our best bet is to brown nose our way in.
As we all know, “nominations” is just a fancy way of saying networking is required.
Especially when the users who partake in the market have control over who gets in.

Don’t think for a moment that pre-existing program members won’t purposefully shoot down a nomination if the applicant threatens their market niche.

12 Likes

I hate The Hats That Take 1 Second To Make like The Cube - Roblox And The Sphere - Roblox

4 Likes

I think it’s really unfair that these hats were even uploaded, in my opinion, he put no effort into it and is making a profit off of it. It should be taken off the catalog and refunds should be given.

1 Like

expect more very soon, they’re a great UGC artist, truly one of the best ones out there imo, but this is just stupid.

2 Likes

I just think if there is still people who like this type of stuff and are actively buying it, it should be allowed. I still understand that other UGC creators put lots of effort into modelling their items but people are still buying it aswell, not instead of. If people want to waste their robux on something that took less than a second to make then they can go ahead, they clearly must have a lot anyway if they are wasting their money on it.
Anyways, if creating a basic shape for people is bad then is lots of the same shape put together bad aswell?

2 Likes

This has always been a tricky argument in the same vein as whether “Rebirth Tycoon-ulators” that do nothing but prompt you for robux should be “allowed” to be as successful as they are. The issue here is that pretty much anyone could have uploaded a Blender primitive as a hat and made absurd amounts of robux off of it.

“Why didn’t I get to be the one to do that?” is what we’re asking, but less out of jealously and more of bewilderment at the sheer audacity that such a thing can and does happen, and frequently. Couple this with the still opaque procedure to even get into the UGC program and we have a lot of people feeling anxious.

The announcement FAQ indicates that they want to make sure that the UGC isn’t abused and full of ripped assets and inappropriate content, but have made no effort or even indication of an effort to solve the adjacent problem of making sure that the content uploaded is up to par with the catalogue’s modest standards and doesn’t swamp it completely.

Suggestion: We need a better filtering system. Create a tagging system that the uploaders can use so that people can find exactly what they’re looking for. For example, UGC “trends” such as the Neon Rainbow thing going on or the Cartoon Outline effect can all be tagged so that people can either look for or exclude them entirely. (On second thought, games could use this feature too, but that’s for another time and post). Of course, any incorrect tags could be reported or have a maximum limit of tags you can use.

I’ve said this before, but we really need to have color variations grouped together, much like how any other online store like Amazon does it.

And yet again, we just need an update from the staff; they’ve just been so quiet lately.

12 Likes

This exists actually. I hope they allow searching with it in the future, but creators can add up to 5 “tags” onto an item and it helps influence what items you get recommended. This API has some endpoints regarding it, under “ItemTags”.

As for the coloring system, I would love to see it but the unfortunate reality is that it wouldn’t work. There’s too many pre-existing recolors of items that converting them would be a pain, and having a slot required for a recolor helps reduce catalog saturation regardless.

1 Like

Why should refunds be given? People bought it for a reason. Its not like they are being ripped off because they looked at it for themselves. I agree with

but otherwise the refunds dont make sense. If you could elaborate more on this that would be great.

2 Likes

Agreed. I bought the Cube because it’s a blank square hat that hides your face. I, as well as everyone else who bought it, like it, otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten it.

3 Likes

They clearly said refunds were to be given if it were to be taken off the market.

which means if it were taken down then it would make sense for a refund.

5 Likes

But why should it be taken down? The people who bought it are happy, it’s not causing problems for developers like the furniture items did, and nobody is getting scammed.

4 Likes

Nobody even knows what the requirements for UGC access are

3 Likes

If people buy it at the current price then I don’t see the problem.

2 Likes

Disagree. Hats are already capped at 5,000 robux maximum.

UGC is/going to be a free market, creators should be able to price things how they want, and Roblox interference with the cube would set a bad precedent for the future.

2 Likes

I think something that needs to be kept in mind is that these items were created as a joke. IHAU was not expecting people to actually buy them, nor do I think that he created it for the robux. He creates amazing UGC items on a regular basis and he does have actual talent. He has expressed that he is as surprised as everyone else that the item got that many sales.

7 Likes

The way I see it is that developers should be able to vote for what goes on the UGC catalog and what price that could be. Of course the creator would set or say what they think before their voting. If it is OBVIOUSLY copied then they could vote that. This would insure no copied truthful good inc catalog. Roblox would also be able to improve the catalogs with this technique. ( the UGC right now is fine but I do think that the others are right.)

3 Likes

A voting system per asset would be an awful idea, frankly. UGC is meant to be a free market, having users vote on accessories to allow would defeat the entire purpose of the catalog and greatly limit the creativity and expression that creators can provide. Not to mention, what happens if you get a group of people to go around and rig the system? It just has too much variables that come into play for it too work.

As for copies, they’re inevitable. There’s way too many Roblox accessories and UGC accessories now for every one to be unique and not slightly related to a pre-existing accessory.

11 Likes

Sorry if anyone else has asked this recently but does anyone have any idea of when at least an application process is coming out. I’ve heard the next couple months but I don’t know what that means at this point with everything going on

3 Likes

No. There’s been no announcement on if/when applications will be available to send in, or if the UGC program will open to the public. Your best bet would be to just keep checking back on the dev forums and on this thread.

5 Likes

There has been announcements on the UGC program going pubic & the state of applications actually, and it’s available here.

2 Likes