UGC Catalog is Now Live!

Now here’s the real deal, how will we avoid players using free meshes from outside of roblox? (This can bring serious legal problems too)

18 Likes

Wait so if you haven’t been working with Roblox you can’t possibly be chosen ? .-.
I hoped that everyone could’ve made their own hats :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

I know right now you are talking about hats and accessories, but I feel that I want to know the next:

Is it all only about accessories or do you think in the future we will be able to do Avatar Animations or Emotes by animators?
By implementing UGC avatar animations or UGC emotes, people would be able to express more widely. Some animators could do good work doing Emotes and we could take advantage of it. Maybe it isn’t needed as we can implement them in-games manually, but it would be nice if you considered it.

Sorry if I’m asking too early, if you are still thinking about it it’s totally ok.

15 Likes

yes i agree with you but the problem is that roblox won’t create everything at once until i liked the advisory system but at first when i heard the news i was worried! but roblox did it right, seriously interesting to also see roblox using animator-made emotes but I find it kind of complicated for roblox to accept because he would be kinda scared because the animator could make an emote even without ulterior motives and ends up copying another game himself for inspiration. But I liked your idea! :+1:

11 Likes

How much is the price ceiling?

13 Likes

Currently, The show unavailable items option on the Community Creations part of the Catalog is not working.

11 Likes

It’s probably better to make your own hats. Full creativity of the users.

15 Likes

As much as I’m excited for this feature, I’m also very worried about how it will be effected by the Roblox market. Currently, the catalog is filled with duplicate uploads of the same outfit. I worry that if this is eventually opened to the public, it will become the same as the current catalog but with hats. I believe they should work on setting a fix in place for the clothing catalog first as this issue may take place with hats.

Thinking on the clothing side, perhaps a possible solution would be notify a few of the regular clothing designers/known and trusted groups on Roblox, take all clothing off sale but don’t remove it, and have the approved groups put theirs on sale. For future clothing, perhaps have some sort detection developed for duplicate items or way to apply for clothing abilities? It’s a tricky problem to solve and this is by far not the best answer, but it might be a possible solution?

15 Likes

I’m very excited to see what people will make, but I can’t hide I’m a bit worried. In my opinion, UGC catalog will never be open to everyone, and we know why, just take a look at the clothing section. It’s still a mystery how developers will be chosen to make hats, but I hope it won’t be neither too strict nor too free, just balanced between the two, like all things should be.
snap

Regarding the retexturing problem, as much as I would love to see retextured antlers, I believe it should not be allowed, or at least no retextured versions of limiteds, as it would negatively affect the original item.
I’m no expert in 3D modeling, but I would really like to try this feature in the future!

17 Likes

I was also in the beginning, but roblox can put if he opens this feature to the public he can put some feature that I can replicate another user’s item that would be a great idea.

16 Likes

Edit: I searched for fire instead of sparkles and realized Operatik had already mentioned this briefly.

Will / are developers be able to add particle emitters such as fire, and sparkles to their hats. Some ROBLOX items them self already exhibit a flame above the hat and some have sparkles.

To add on,

And if so, will it be only be limited to just fire and sparkles or instead branch out to the actual ParticleEmitter class to allow a more broad range, and would there be a limit to how many emitters could be inserted into a hat (Prevent users from lagging games, or making it unable to see anything with emitters in a hat).

Some hats in the ROBLOX catalog with such effects:
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/192557913/Sparkling-Angel-Wings
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/74891470/Frozen-Horns-of-the-Frigid-Planes

44 Likes

Under the current system, it looks like you will be able to. However, that could change as the feature is rolled out to developers who aren’t as trustworthy.

13 Likes

Perfectly Legitimate Santa Hat is a great look, but it directly exacerbates the issue that a few of us have with the copying situation.

Current UGC creators can simply make similar but slightly modified meshes that ride off the reputation and image of well-established catalog items. In your case, your hat is a near-clone of Imperfectly Illegitimate Business hat, just with a modified top-piece. In essence, you’d be introducing a new member of the Perfectly/Imperfectly family of items, which is what they said would be prohibited. Otherwise people would be able to introduce new Dominus’, Sparkle Time Fedoras, Federation items, and Valkyries without restriction.

13 Likes

I want to start off by saying that I think this feature is great for roblox. My only concern is that if you start with a small group of select hat creators, then, by the time everyone or more people can update ugc, those original people will already be known alongside their creations as well. So, I would like to suggest a feature to fix this problem. A sponsorship of items. If people wish to sponsor, it would work the same way as it does for games, however, it would be promoted on the front catalog page rather than the games page.

23 Likes

I would use scripts in accessories to add special effects like fire or add movementum effects (Yes, there’s ROBLOX’s default ones but I want to add my own custom effect if I can)

I don’t think I’d mind that much if scripting inside a hat isn’t allowed since I have other ideas on what accessories i can make

12 Likes

This is a very neat addition to the site! Is there a particular timeframe for when there will be new limited items releasing again?

13 Likes

I believe the biggest concern of adding custom scripts to hats is performance. Scripts and other custom features like particles and sounds is potential abuse of these features, from loud sounds, high custom particle emissions, etc. I would love to see what Roblox does to respond to this idea, though!

9 Likes

A) Will the developers be taxed or will they get the full 1,200

B) Is there a guide that the people need to follow full of rules etc for hats?

13 Likes

Other than both of them being a black fedora, they are not at all the same. Of course we will see some similar items, but none of them will be too similar hopefully.

12 Likes

@Nekoparaiten

Performance isn’t really a concern with adding scrips to hats. The main issue with allowing users to add scrips to there hats is that there will be huge security issue for every game. People would just hide scrips inside hats that give them unfair advantages in any game they choose. Lets take jailbreak for example, someone could hide a script inside a hat they made and the script could give them infinite money or make them immune to being arrested ect.

Lots of people will initially think moderators will be able to handle this issue. However this poses lots of problems. For example, each moderator would have to know how to code in lua so that they can identify potential issues within scrips. The moderation process will also take a lot longer to complete because potentially thousands of lines of code will have to be closely examined.

With all this said, I don’t think Roblox will allow users to add scripts to hats anytime soon or potentially never. This is due to that fact that the moderation process will be considerably affected due to the massive workload moderating scrips bring.

21 Likes