UGC Concept #1: Tankmen

Hey guys, recently I’ve been getting back in to Blender Modelling.
I find it really fascinating and I am intrigued to learn more about the program. I’ve been especially fascinated by the UGC Program, which I am now making a personal goal of mine to grow until I am eventually good enough to enter.

So I made my first actual 3D Model, based off the popular character from Newgrounds, Tankman:
Here is my model that I made based off the references.
image image image
Here is the Tankman Helmet on a Player:

Notes / Future References

For starters, I noticed the transparent segments inside of the helmet:
Looking in to this problem, I realized this was due to a problem of ROBLOX not registering backfaces, causing the see-through effect. I’m working to look in to solutions to this problem, so if you have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem, please let me know!

Please leave feedback / constructive criticism, thank you!

EDIT:
After learning a fix to the backfaces, I fixed it, and made a minor adjustment to the textures:

14 Likes

This is awesome!

About the backfaces, if you enable the “Double Sided” property on the MeshPart, it should fix the issue.

6 Likes

You are my hero

3 Likes

You can always flip the normals in Blender (make sure its solid though and not just a plane), it’s a bit more performant (or so I’ve heard) than enabling backface culling (Double-sided)!

2 Likes

Flipping the normals didn’t really work for me since they just don’t register backfaces by default, but I never tried backface culling, thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

The helmet looks a little too big.

1 Like

Does it? Is it too big Vertically or Horizontally?

1 Like

It looks a bit big horizontally. It still looks great!

1 Like

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up! I did a little fix in studio if thats acceptable lol

5 Likes

Ah, the nostalgia. This is a good idea for a UGC item. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I’ll keep pushing out new models as best as I can lol

1 Like

This is a UGC concept, if it were put in the game i suggest taking the vertices around the mouth and making a kind of half-sphere inside of it, but you can also just connect it all to one central vertex.
Just to clarify, this is what many UGC creators do all of the time since you won’t usually see it anyway.
Good advice, though!

1 Like

Interesting, are you not able to upload the entire MeshPart when sending in the UGC item?

1 Like

You are, but having a seperate inside for the model to fix the problem would have an unnecessary amount of polygons/vertices. I don’t know how to explain this to you, but…

Really cool design and idea!! One thing I do suggest is learning how to Mark Sharps! I’ll be sure to link a YouTube video that shows how to do that. It can really make clean and sharp edges on your Model!!

Another thing I suggest is maybe not making concepts of things that are common or might be copyrighted! Training your mind to be unique with your concepts is a great road for 3D Artists to take - Variety also matters too! Get creative with your ideas in order to create a well-thought-out and original concept!

Guide to Marking Sharps - His voice is a bit un-enthusiastic, but gets the job done!

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial link

As far as I know, Tankman isnt copyrighted or protected by the law. That being said, my intention wasnt to make this an official item, but more or less practice and out of passion for the original cartoon

I am planning to make original creations in the future, but I do not have access to materials such as blender at the moment

Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

That looks… AMAZING! I would totally buy this item. 10/10 :+1:

1 Like

This is excellent, congratulations! I recommend you create more models like this, soon enough you will be invited to UGC in no time.

1 Like

Thanks man lol, actually it was my first original ROBLOX hat, I took a 3 month hiatus from Blender to focus on school to not fail, so i’m kinda gaining my knowledge back on Blender.

I still need to learn how to make hair though, that’s like the only thing stopping me from enlightenment.
(and maybe a bit of texturing lol)

I don’t really think hair is important, but do it if you want.