UGC hat is blurry sometimes and has blue edges

I have uploaded an UGC hat and noticed there were blue lines and the text would be blurred out really badly

A lot of people have been complaining about it and the blurryness ranges depending on the graphics quality you have while joining and the shape or size of your character or it being fine whenever your character is r6 compared to r15.

I have had reports of some people having no issues with it and others seeing it blurred down to what looks like a total of 20 pixels.

Expected behavior

There to be no blue edges and the hat to not get blurred out so badly

6 Likes

Textures for an entire humanoid character are composited into one texture. Sometimes this texture is downscaled by the engine depending on device, memory pressure, etc. hence the blur you’re seeing here. Very intentional unfortunately. The real issue is that you’re seeing it here (on pc on a decent level? I cannot tell). The engine is very aggressive about when it chooses to do this though.

As for the blue seam, you have insufficient space between your UV islands, specifically the top of the helmet gets within just a few pixels of the light blue island used for the rim of the glass. When scaled down by the engine, bleeding occurs. You could shrink that entire light blue section down to a small square and compact the UVs over top of it, or revise your packing to leave sufficient room. This is also not a bug, but an authoring issue.

Also not the correct category, this place is for corrections to Roblox assets. This is an engine issue if you’re looking to report how aggressive the downscaling is, but that’s not really a bug, moreso a feature request.

4 Likes

Hey Rickje,

Without seeing the textures themselves, my assumption here is the helmets texture is fairly high? Is that true? 1024 or similar.

FRM and other performance measures will reduce texture resolution (mipping down) to keep perf stable. If this image was high resolution, it might be one of the first hit to reduce the overall resolution.

General Specifications | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub has recommendations for the resolutions for certain sizes, to ensure your asset doesn’t get reduced heavily.

PeZ was right about the padding around your UVislands. this is solved by increasing them, but may also be fixed by the resolution changes.

I would advise, if you want to keep the text on the front, to prioritize that UV island (making it biggest) in the texture map.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Hello @rickje139 wanted to follow up and see if the suggestions above helped resolved this issue. Please let us know if you have any questions, or anything else we can help and investigate.

Thank you!

1 Like

I wont be able to update the hat so i cant actually solve the issue, but i’ll make sure to watch out for the issue on future UGC hats.

Yeah this bothered me too.
Just add this script until Roblox fixes the issue.

https://create.roblox.com/store/asset/17389654368/R6-Accessory-Quality-Fix