UGC Material Variants & Upgraded Built-in Materials Release

This is amazing. Hopefully sometime in the future, we could see the particle sets (Fire, Explosion, Smoke, and Sparkles) get reworked. As someone who doesn’t have a lot of skill in particle work, it’d greatly help if we had more modern, built-in particles, as the current ones look slightly dated.

7 Likes

Will there ever be an option to switch back to the old dropdown menu we had before the material manager update? The material manager makes it so much more difficult to apply textures quickly when compared to the old menu.

6 Likes

Very glad to see this feature get its full release, however with such a feature, is there going to be any sort of in-engine material blending for meshes in the future, similar to terrain? (assigning/painting materials to separate vertices of a mesh akin to Blender’s vertex paint, not full-on texture painting.)

For instance, being able to blend a painted wall material with a destroyed wall material, or being able to paint dirt and grass around a meshed rock to add extra detail to terrain would be an absolute game-changer.

6 Likes

You can dock the manager somewhere, turn on list display, and hide the sidebar to make it look like this:

11 Likes

Even then, I don’t want to take up my sidebar with even more tabs. Having the explorer, properties and toolbox there is inconvenient enough already. The old dropdown menu is still much easier to use.

14 Likes

We currently don’t allow changing ColorMap or other maps at runtime due to technical reason. For PBR textures, we do a bit of processing in the cloud backend that isn’t feasible to be done at runtime.

We’ve noted your feature request for animated textures.

Thanks again for your feedback!

14 Likes

Hey there, thanks for the update !

It’s freaking nice to have new materials like that, it’s just something I was waiting for years honestly

I just have a question, in the 1st topic you’ve made some months (years) ago about new materials, you said you were going to add several new materials

Material Expansion!

Lastly, we are pleased to announce we are working on expanding both terrain and part materials to include many more options. We want to empower our community to create what they envision with a more robust built-in library. Below is a list of the materials we’re looking to add:

• Terrain/Part Materials
    • Thatch
    • Wood Bark (Pine)
    • Moss
    • Carpet
    • Tile Surface (ceramic)
    • Marshland (dense/sparse emergent)
    • Leafy Dirt Ground
    • Snowy Grass
    • Jungle Floor
    • Snowy Rock
    • Dried Leaf Ground
    • Gravel Ground
    • Plains Grass Ground
  • Part Only Materials
    • Stucco Plaster
    • Cardboard Paper
    • Painted Metal
    • Iron (refined)
    • Diamond
    • Fur (short hair)
    • Rubber
    • Full Grain Leather
    • Denim

So I just wondered, is this actually a thing? Is this list of new materials is planned or abandoned because we can make our custom ones?

I honestly would love to have these new, fully added materials, with their specific Enum'n stuff !

I am looking forward to creating a game about creation’n so on, so having a lot of materials is the best thing I can get, honestly !

And you, what do you think of these announced new materials?

• It would be so cool to have them actually !
  • Mh, yea why not, but we can still use MaterialService and its new MaterialVariants system too
  • I definitely think adding more materials wouldn’t be great, keep the current ones and only use the MaterialService with MaterialVariants instances…

0 voters

Thanks for having read :wink:

Varonex_0

6 Likes

Where did you see that paragraph about the puddle and fire systems?

4 Likes

On the blog post, at the end:
https://blog.roblox.com/2022/07/introducing-custom-material-variants-new-enhancements-materials/

4 Likes

This update is amazing, I really love the material manager and reworked materials. It will definitely make my games look way better! I love how PBR works on normal parts too

5 Likes

I think that after the huge backlash to the initial update, the new materials were put on hold and custom materials were a priority.

Now that custom materials are released, the extra materials will probably be released sometime in the future.

6 Likes

Has anyone else noticed some of the images in this announcement are failing to load?

21 Likes

Please add grass decoration on parts, i beg of you!

16 Likes

How are people getting the new material manager to show up? When I am changing the Material or MaterialVariant property of a part it doesn’t show up.

3 Likes

The properties menu is like it was before, there is only a dropdown for the materials, the manager menu doesnt open from properties

3 Likes

I can’t see that for some reason. I can only see the old material menu:

3 Likes

Do you have the beta feature enabled?

3 Likes

That made it appear. That’s weird because without the beta enabled, I had access to all of the other features from the material update.

2 Likes

I still think the Terrain materials look too flat! Here’s an image going from Part → Smooth Terrain.

If I’m going to be using the new materials, they need to not be this flat. It looks like paper to me.

TooFlat.PNG

6 Likes

true why are the terrain ones so flat

3 Likes