UGC Material Variants & Upgraded Built-in Materials Release

Probably some technical reasoning, however in nearly all of the terrains I tried with the new materials, they are flat. It’s hard to get them looking good. I may have to change my building style.

3 Likes

Old

New

Old

New

Look at the rocks especially. I think the only way for me to get this looking presentable is to change the color scheme even more. Maybe I’ll stick to the default terrain, but it would be awesome to do this with the new ones.

Edit (Studio reset it settings and put detail on automatic, it’s so much better now.)

8 Likes

These material updates would be nice if I didn’t have to email roblox daily because they moderate a texture I upload. Great to see we’re being afforded more customization though.

6 Likes

What graphics level are you using? I feel like that might be your issue, because law graphics doesn’t make use of PBR

3 Likes

Yep it was exactly that, No idea why but it’s fine now.

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s here but could we get the option to control studs offset U and V? I think this is a big feature we’re missing. Textures get this option and I believe this might be a big reason to still use textures over UGC materials.

4 Likes

It’d be cool to be able to make duplicates of a default material and size it up, I’ve seen a lot of “giant” rooms in games that still use the default sized materials and it looks kinda odd.

3 Likes

Emission maps would be a good addition to PBR as well :sunny:

9 Likes

God please, do not add this update.

3 Likes

Its fully optional! thats what makes it great

4 Likes

The fact that the new materials are like, 5 times lesser in quality is just an embarrasement lol.
EDIT: Atleast it’s optional, I’m thankful for that.

2 Likes

Are we going to be able use add terrain materials and set the smoothness to it (like current terrain bricks are cubes and grass is smooth)?

1 Like

Would be great have an option for world space textures for certain materials. For example, my game uses triangle terrain made from wedges. This makes the texture seams for every triangle obvious and would be nice to not have them

13 Likes

Nice! I really admire how roblox is trusting users to upload more and new unique assets to the platform!

Speaking of UGC, will there be any updates on video frames?

3 Likes

This is definitely a builder’s dream update. I can’t wait to start building with this update.

1 Like

The grass material is terrible tbh, i prefer the old one

3 Likes

Are there plans to make it possible to change the the way water looks as well?

It would be nice if we could customize water as we please just as much as we can with the other materials, considering how important water is in terrain design.

Someone might want to make lava, or acid! I can see people making pretty cool things with water if this were possible.

6 Likes

Did you even read it before complaining?

8 Likes

In the blog post, you see a custom material of lava that actually glows and looks really nice, however when replacing the cracked lava material with a custom one in studio, it doesn’t glow at all. Is there something I’m missing?

1 Like

This looks great, I just don’t see how it could be used on any type of ugc accessory.

1 Like