UGC Material Variants & Upgraded Built-in Materials Release

Who said anything about UGC accessories?

2 Likes

UGC stands for User-generated creations not user-generated cosmetics

6 Likes

Actually, it means User Generated Content if I remember correctly. It means pretty much the same thing, though.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like the new one the old one is so much better

1 Like

This is awesome, being able to make custom materials for things (i think thats what this is, that’s what i get from it(?)) Abd having them in one place seems like a really good thing to have, instead of going into your toolbox and decals, copying the id etc.

Also glad they made it opinional to use old/new textures, would be nice if we could mix and match those.

8 Likes

Been waiting for this update for years, glad to see it finally go live!

2 Likes

The Material Manager is cool but can we get a feature where we can change models’ color, material, etc right in the Properties panel?

2 Likes

It would be odd for it to glow, as far as I know Roblox doesn’t support emission maps (even though it really should)

2 Likes

Yes, I would like to have a function in texture: old/new textures, because some old textures are still relevant and good. And I don’t want to change everything because of a couple of textures.
Example: Concrete [old/new]

2 Likes

So cool! I saw them on your Facebook story. Cause, I’m not on Roblox these days, it happens when you start learning Arabic grammar…

2 Likes

(@ailsens) You actually CAN mix and match them! Kind of. They provided and entire list of IDs for all the materials in the documentation: Materials | Roblox Creator Documentation

So you can, for instance, set Use2022Materials to false, but make a bunch of custom materials that use IDs of the 2022 materials.

It might not look exact, but I guess its the closest you can get

4 Likes

Wow, this is much better, thank you so much for telling me about it!

4 Likes

Agreed, displacement maps will be mega useful.

You know what else we need though? The ability to import high-tri meshes, and even though it could freeze Roblox Studio for some most people, those with high end devices could use this to their advantage.

4 Likes

Not ALL the materials, I don’t see plastic anywhere.

2 Likes

Huh. Thats interesting.

It might be a mistake? I know that smooth plastic doesnt actually have a texture, but plastic does

Here is the normal map for plastic if you need it:

EDIT: Actually, normaldetail maps are not listed in the documentation, and normal plastic only has a normaldetail map, so maybe thats why?

3 Likes

Oh, actually I really only needed the normal map so I could increase the contrast to make a drywall looking texture. Thanks.

1 Like

This is truly awesome, have you already planned on letting the Developers add custom terrain decorations? For example enable grass for certain terrain materials or add completely custom grass strands textures

3 Likes

Not only are displacement maps needed. ROBLOX also needs to add support for emissions maps for terrain materials.

3 Likes

The lava actually has emission, however it is very slight.

2 Likes

I’m wondering on whether it is possible to add being able to mix old and new built-in materials. I would like to use that, but I can’t ‘download’ the old (or new) material per material and add that as a custom material. Recreating is possible I guess, but this would be a lot easier!

3 Likes