UGC: Number of textures for item

If my helmet is divided into 4 parts, do they all need to share a single 256x256 texture file? or can I make individual 256x256 texture files for each of the 4 parts?

2 Likes

They have to all be mapped to the same texture. You might be able to use a larger texture size as well, as I believe the texture “limits” are more-so “recommendations”. See this guide: Mesh Requirements | Roblox Creator Documentation

4 Likes

Want to point out a few things that you may or may not be confused about:

• Accessories that are not layered clothing use a single texture, layered clothing may use surface appearances with a texture size of 256x256 rather than 1024x1024 that other accessories may have

(Marketplace Requirements | Roblox Creator Documentation)

4 Likes

I’m still uncertain if it is required to have a 256x256 texture for surface appearance, despite what that guide says.

I have downloaded a couple of layered clothing t-shirts (using a Load Catalog Items plugin) and exported them from Studio. For example, here is a surface appearance for a sponsored Coco Vita tshirt: Images/rough1 - Roblox

This .spec RoughnessMap is 1024x1024.

1 Like

Might be written down a bit strangely

• Texture Budget - Texture maps can’t exceed 1024x1024px. Assets using additional maps with SurfaceAppearance can use smaller 256x256px maps to optimize performance with virtually no loss in detail.

Surface appearances might have the same limit for the texture as a color texture map since it doesnt say must but says can

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.