UGC Program: Expanding Creation and Monetization with Avatar Bodies and Heads

So what does this announcement hold for R6? Will they be R6 compatible? Will developers be able to upload an R6 variant of their package or is it exclusively an R15 thing?

9 Likes

Yes. That doesnā€™t really change my argument in any meaningful way, but I was trying to be vague due to not knowing the exact month. Thanks for the clarification.

9 Likes

Sounds like a fun customization creation option! although, can be used in very inappropriate ways. Lets hope moderation is good for this feature.

6 Likes

Nice update, but please focus on increase your client performance and adding new features to games like Changing decoration (grass) size, paint terrain with different color and other things.

You guys are making things complex by adding dynamic faces and stuff, but why not focus on client performance first?

game like GTA 5 runs smoother than roblox ngl.

11 Likes

Wow this is going to be good. Btw Im a game developer and UGC creator

5 Likes

I donā€™t think so, from what Iā€™ve read. Iā€™d like to restate that this is for custom-made UGC Creator avatar bodies. Roblox, based on what I know, is not getting rid of R6 platform-wide. However, UGC Creators could try to emulate the style of R6 using R15. R6 just means the body parts. (2 legs, 2 arms, a torso, and a head.)

With Robloxā€™s blocky R15 avatar character model, I feel like people can already emulate R6 with some custom animations very closely. But, I could be missing something. People could always make animations for their characters, that are technically in R15, that emulate R6 animation. If thereā€™s 3 parts of a leg for R15, to emulate R6, move those 3 parts of that leg as if it were 1 part.

Thatā€™s animations though, not physics and/or collisions. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s other stuff.

But then again, now Iā€™m questioning why Roblox is even stopping people from using R6 for this UGC creation method of avatar bodies. The more I think about it, the more Iā€™m questioning the reasons behind it.

Me going through some of my characters & emulating different rig types w/ them.

This is an R6 kind of character. (2 ā€˜legsā€™, 2 ā€˜armsā€™, a torso, a head.)

The image above could be many types. (4 legs, 4 hoofs, a torso, 2 wings, a tail, a head, 2 ears, 2 eyes, 4 eyelids, a nose)

This all is theoretical, but I could choose to not let people animate some things. (eyes, eyelids, ears, tail, wings, hoofs.) Maybe making the head a ā€˜half-workingā€™ dynamic head. (only eyes and eyelids work, but not a mouth as there is none for my character.)

If people could animate every part of the body, instead of animating it like itā€™s an R22 model, they could emulate a simpler ā€˜R6ā€™ model. (4 ā€˜legsā€™, a torso, a head) (no motion of wings, tail, eyes/eyelids, and nose.) Or, someone could emulate an in-between like R8. (4 legs, a torso, a head, 2 wings)

5 Likes

Roblox starting to look like Fortnite and IMVU.

Jokes aside, this is pretty cool.
I might put my 3D artist skills to use some time as well to make my own stuff and upload it for others to use on their avatar.

There is not just a maximum, but a minimum size requirement for each part. This is to ensure all avatar bodies interact with all Roblox experiences in a way other creators can plan for.

Can we please also have this for other accessories and have a way to disable overly large ones in games?
Super large accessories cause problems in some games and can break immersion or thrown of others (stuff like hitboxes being harder to guess or using large accessories as camouflage or to hide certain cues that the game uses on avatars like status effects).

Edit: Also I hope this will have support for R6 and classic clothing.
I still use classic clothing and prefer it over the skinned clothing tbh.
But itā€™s still pretty neat stuff!

9 Likes

I think its fair the percentage in the way that not only can a game draw attention and advertising for specific UGC, but the game creators have to maintain and update their games, keeping players interested. UGC creators can create an item (and yes, it may take weeks, but how long does it take to make games?) and once that item is created, you can post it for sale, and forget it.

UGC Create, Post, Forget
Devs Create, Find UGC, Direct Traffic to that UGC, Maintain/Update Game, Keep finding Relavent UGC

4 Likes

Roblox has many different teams & employees in general. (2,500+ employees I believe.) Some focus on the engine, some focus on marketing, some focus on the 3D Importer, etc.

We, as the community, to my knowledge, cannot see every team working at Roblox. Or, what individual works on that team. Some are vocal about that on the forums, but it seems like every Roblox employee is NOT on this developer forum. Anyways, the ones working on this update we see here probably isnā€™t the same people who would be changing how terrain grass works or bettering client performance.

There are also many technical reasons behind things, like having to support older mobile devices, but Iā€™d recommend supporting and researching feature requests behind that stuff.

6 Likes

This is pretty good to see! Iā€™m definitely interested what sort of bodies will be made.

2 Likes

Extremely good news for UGC and better expansion to the creators. There are some pros & cons obviously but seriously good stuff coming from Roblox side and the UGC side.

1 Like

In the short run, I expect a lot of issues and controversy. In the long run, I expect a lot of creativity and growth for the platform.
Howeverā€¦ Roblox, why did you have to showcase with a creepy avatar staring into my soul :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

these look ugly and cursed, no thanks

3 Likes

Ew no what is this?! Please donā€™t shift focus from normal roblox rigs. This is taking a whole step down to budget Unity simulators on Play Store. Caged mesh + custom rigs in-game is fine. Please donā€™t make it a platform thing! I donā€™t want these skinned rigs running around in every game!

8 Likes

Donā€™t worry R6 games are safe from: skinned rigs, layered clothing and dynamic heads!

2 Likes

As a UGC creator who tries to be original, I really want to do my best in making appealing avatar heads.

Iā€™ve noticed that accessories are separate from heads. I texture my heads, meaning I will be drawing in eyelashes and eyebrows, while making them compatible with 3D eyelashes and eyebrows.

I hope this is okay to do, and a lot of my peers say itā€™s a toss up. Can we get clarification on that? Other than that, itā€™s great for tech artists like me to make these things.

5 Likes

Please, weā€™re begging you to actually uphold this.
An announcement was made about the prevention of UGC clones of Roblox created limiteds when only accessories could be created, but regardless the problem still cropped up and then ran rampant for much longer than it ever should have.

Thatā€™s another big kick in the teeth.
Why is community feedback still entirely disregarded in the decision-making process?
ā€œWe are moving towards a futureā€ implies the community was fully accepting and on board with this, which judging by the backlash the initial post where this was announced received is simply not the case.

What reason is there to bury ā€˜oldā€™ functionality that still works perfectly. It is not always necessary for a game to include new technology such as the live animation capabilities being (very aggressively, may I add) pushed out right now. It may not fit with the gameā€™s art style, may conflict with mechanics in the game or may just be disabled by the developer for a whole host of other reasons - so why should it still be there in the background eating up resources? Itā€™s pointless.

Weā€™ve seen Roblox power forward with poorly received updates time and again. Take the audio privacy update for example, because to this day we still do not have the ability to make audio public and the toolbox is full of sounds that either are entirely irrelevant to my search term or are just too low quality to use. Disappointing is an understatement to describe how that was handled. Iā€™m almost convinced itā€™s never returning and eventually the option will disappear from the configure page entirely.

Adding new features will never be something I complain about, but then proceeding to constantly attempt to force people to use them is something I donā€™t understand at all.

14 Likes

Who said i had to create an actual dynamic face when i could just reuse the same static face mesh for all the poses and instead of a 3d face add a baked in texture?

Or just include a box as the head.

4 Likes

seeing more freedom and creativity in ugc is always a great thing, even if most people find changes like this controversial, i personally see no problem with most of the avatar changes as of late ( aside from gatekeeping new assets to r15 bodies and not letting people use r6 with things like layered clothing for no good reasonā€¦ and also the whole dynamic heads misunderstanding last month ) however, i still have a lot of concerns specifically for the ugc program as a whole which i think is somewhat appropriate to bring up here;

roblox, please work on improving the moderation and quality control of the ugc program and marketplace, as of right now it is a mess, theres blatant copyright infringement, models being stolen, rare limiteds being reuploaded, and not much being done about it. itā€™s been this way for months.

you may ask, why is any of this relevant? well, i think giving creators more assets to upload ( especially entire bodies ) is no doubt going to cause a wave of malicious creators and, overall, make moderation and quality control even harder with more asset types for them to moderate.

now iā€™m not exactly up to date on ugc news, so take this with a grain of salt, however i feel all of this is also amplified by the talks of making ugc open to all roblox users ( or, effectively ditching the program idea ), which, as good as it might sound on paper, i strongly disagree with. opening the floodgates in robloxā€™s current moderation state ( for ugc specifically, not even going to open the can of worms that is their moderation in general ) will cause an unmanageable amount of rule breakers and assets that break the TOS. andā€¦ also a lot of poor quality items, lets be honest.

so, tl;dr, i think adding more asset types to the program is a good thing, however i also think roblox will fail even harder to moderate it all ( especially when bodies are such crucial parts of an avatar ) and it will make the already messy ugc program an even bigger mess, and their very little effort to moderate and quality control will go out the window even moreso if they decide to open the floodgates to everybody.

also, if i can be honest, these parts donā€™t really mean anything to me. it just feels like poor ways of addressing the current ugc situation by putting tiny messages in a random portions of the post and telling people to ā€œstay tunedā€. if you truly want to prohibit these things, please actually take action and make efforts to improve your moderation instead of making promises again ( which youā€™re infamous for not fulfilling at this point ), not just for ugc, but for the platform as a whole, as many have literally begged you to do in the past. although i think iā€™m just crying out into the void at this point

oh and while iā€™m talking to a brick wall, please stop shafting r6 and legacy content, please let them use new technology instead of gatekeeping it and forcing people to use r15 if they want their avatar to use literally any of the new stuff thatā€™s being added, when r6 bodies can very easily support new technology, please and thank you. although, i kinda have a feeling roblox just wants rid of r6 at this point, and is removing it subtly with every update so that there isnā€™t an insurmountable amount of backlash compared to if they just said they were removing it outright

19 Likes

This update sounds like an excellent move for UGC creators. I may not be a creator myself, but I really like this. However, there is one question: will there be any improvements in detecting infringing content? Ever since the forum thread about Taking Action Against UGC Copies was posted, stating that there would be a 90% drop in knockoffs, there was actually a 90% rise, for awhile. If tons of infringing content and UGC copies are already on the marketplace, imagine all the stuff UGC creators will post with this update.

Besides, imagination and creativity is key to a successful marketplace, and I would like to encourage UGC creators to become successful, while refraining from selling accessories and other items that violate the Community Guidelines.

7 Likes