UGC size bypass allows accessories that are thousands of studs wide

Currently, as of 7/13/24, it is possible to upload UGC items that bypass the UGC size restrictions, allowing hats and other accessories that are thousands of studs wide.

One such item is the “rex skybox” : REX SKY BOX - Roblox

Here is a video demonstrating this:

Expected behavior

It is expected that UGC creators cannot bypass the UGC size restrictions.

10 Likes

My game still gets reports everyday of people in the game with accessories the size of skyboxes. This is really frustrating, why is it marked as fixed when its still an issue?

3 Likes

@Noble_Draconian do these large accessories contribute to the players bounding box? Im thinking of adding a model extents check to remove anything over a certain size for the time being.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they do but don’t quote me on that. If you can catch the asset ID, you can post it here and it should be taken down pretty quickly

2 Likes

Found another one: Cool Evil Sponge - Roblox

Players keep using these and it’s pretty annoying. Luckily though you can detect this at runtime by getting the Character’s size with GetExtentsSize() after their appearance loads. If it’s larger than ~50 studs in magnitude then you could try and find accessories that are too large and deleting them.

4 Likes

For some reason, the team marked this as “closed” / resolved even though they only deleted the one item instead of fixing the problem that’s allowing these items to be uploaded in the first place. Going to see if I can flag them internally…

6 Likes

The way these bypasses work is by positioning the Handle part very far away, so when validation checks the extents on both studio and the RCC Server, it breaks due to floating-point precision loss.

properties

The easiest fix would to just set Handle.CFrame to CFrame.identity during pre-validation.

It’s been 30 days but they still haven’t added that single line:

-- https://github.com/MaximumADHD/Roblox-Client-Tracker/blob/roblox/LuaPackages/Packages/_Index/UGCValidation/UGCValidation/util/fixUpPreValidation.lua
if thing:IsA("BasePart") then
	thing.Velocity = Vector3.zero
	thing.RotVelocity = Vector3.zero
+	thing.CFrame = CFrame.identity
end
7 Likes

Yeah, there are still a lot of bypassed items that already slipped through the cracks and continue to be put on sale. Roblox needs to properly fix this issue, and then automatically sweep through all the recently uploaded items and delete any which abused this glitch. We’re still seeing a bunch of these items disrupting our game, and they’re getting obnoxious to see.

3 Likes

This is is marked as fixed but I don’t see an official comment from Roblox. Does anyone know what’s happening with it? This is a bit of an issue for the game I’m working on at the moment.

1 Like

If it still happening, we should probably make another ticket for it. The QA team might not be looking at this thread because it has been already marked as solved for some reason.

1 Like

they got mad (two people DMed me) :sob:

quite surprising Roblox isn’t actually joining these servers as well

5 Likes

Our games have been plagued by these lately so much so that I’m disabling off-sale UGC hats from being put on through our hat system. This is to try and decrease how many abusive hats are being worn.

The only way we can auto-detect these large hats right now is disabled in live game servers, as it’s still under a beta test.

I have a whole script here that can detect these large UGC and auto-blacklist them from being worn, however, the API to create editable mesh parts from a MeshId is disabled outside Studio. This API lets us see vertex information and can build an overall “bounding box” from these to determine the overall size from its magnitude.

So, until that goes live we’re stuck manually blacklisting these hats while we wait on Roblox to remove existing large UGC and fix the issue. I will additionally share my script sometime soon anyway, in case the API goes fully live before Roblox fixes the issue.

1 Like

It’s probably a group who are profiting off of selling these hats and don’t want this to get patched. Sorry that you have to deal with that.

Can’t you just GetExtentsSize of the character’s model to check if the size seems suspicious?

1 Like

My friend Xoifail made a script recently that lets you remove UGC hats based on the hat name / description / creator / etc, by default it deletes any UGC containing the word “Biggest” in the name or if they exceed a certain size (5x5x5)