UGC Texture Problems

I’ve textured this UGC item in substance painter following the 1024 x 1024 format, however whenever I make it an accessory and attach it to a character the texture becomes crappy. Someone please help.

4 Likes

are you using textures or surface appearance ?

Texture, I’m unsure if surfance appearance works for normal UGC items.

1 Like

try to use surface appearance also you can add normal map , metalness , roughness and color map to the surface appearance !

UGC, when placed on R6 characters become compressed and the texture looks crappy. Try placing it on an R15 rig

1 Like

It’s better but there are still some issues, like random spots are going white

1 Like

What is your Studio render setting currently at? I bet a lower render level tries to optimize humanoids by lowering texture quality.

2 Likes

It’s at max, I managed to make it better by adjusting UV’s but its still irritating.

I wouldn’t really worry about it, often it will be full res ingame.

In my experience this happens because R6 rigs usually downgrade to 512x512 textures. I use 1024x1024 textures regardless for my accessories because the textures don’t always downgrade ingame but when they do, they often fix themselves when you respawn or reapply the accessory.

To fix the quality in studio, I just brute force it in a few different ways such as by reuploading the texture when the accessory is already on the dummy/rig.

I’m hopeful this will all resolve when R6 is eventually merged into R15.