UI Improvements for Camera Controls to Animate your Avatar

Hi creators,

To address some UI concerns when a users’ camera is enabled to animate their avatar, we’ve made some changes to how these users can control their camera input within experiences. Previously, once enabled, the camera button was permanently located above an avatar’s head which used up valuable in-experience space.

Starting today for camera enabled experiences, users who are only camera enabled (without voice) will no longer see the camera button above their avatar’s head. Instead, self-view will now be shown by default for users upon entering the experience. Self-view includes the camera button, allowing them to toggle the camera on/off. If a user closes self-view, they can enable it again by using the Roblox menu.

Self-view w/camera button

After closing Self-view, you can go into the Roblox menu to re-open it

Using the Roblox menu, tap on the face icon to open self-view.

Users with voice, within voice enabled experiences, will continue to see the microphone and/or camera buttons above their avatar’s head to ensure quick access to their camera controls and muting within an experience.

As a reminder, we’re progressing to remove the microphone buttons with the upcoming release of updated experience controls. As an interim solution, we hope these changes will help improve the current UI.

If you wish to selectively hide, show, or position self-view during certain moments of your experience, we have the following APIs to empower you to do so:

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

75 Likes

What does this look like with the new core UI thing?

11 Likes

great question. I don’t even know myself what it looks like with the new core UI.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t call this inconsistent wreck “improved”. Who approved this?

18 Likes

I can no longer disable the camera in the user settings

:frowning:

11 Likes

Honestly, I preferred having my camera button above my head. This change is interesting…really feels like we’re being forced to use the camera feature by having a pretty big pop up appear by default instead of a button above our heads.

Overall, I feel the camera button should stay in the Esc menu rather than appearing over our head and rather than a pop up coming onto our screens by default. Feels like buttons that will get more use like the microphone should stay above our head or be hooked to a key bind. Stuff like the camera should stay in the Esc menu as it’s not always needed to communicate with users and a not as needed feature.

7 Likes

These APIs don’t appear to work with the new CoreGui enabled at all. On top of this, why is SelfViewPosition an Enum and not a developer specifiable position? In all honesty, the new CoreGui does this all better by placing the camera and microphone buttons solely in the top bar.

Also, based on my experiments in Roblox experiences, if you have the new top-bar enabled most of this post doesn’t apply at all?

5 Likes

Actually, we’ve made this change to better respect users who are not interested in Camera. If you close Self-View once, that preference will be respected the next time you join a camera-enabled experience and Self-view will not show up again.

14 Likes

As mentioned in the post, this UI is an interim solution until the new experience controls UI releases. These changes will have no visible impact with the new core UI.

7 Likes

Thank you, and I hope the microphone will be included soon as well (I know this is planned). I had disabled voice, and camera controls due to countless times that I have accidently turned them on, and got warned by the AI (or whatever automated moderation solution Roblox uses), which was very frustrating as I did not intentionally consent to processing my input while talking to someone over third party app in the background.

7 Likes

This is good. It was possible to click the buttons above the players’ head while other GUI was covering it, so you would accidentally turn on your camera or microphone, which was NOT good considering the ai warning system. Additionally, it really got in the way of my horror game’s look. Imagine playing a horror game but then seeing a giant white bubble above your head with a camera and mircophone button (even though this is just for camera atm). Ruins the immersion imo.

I hope that this will come out for microphone too, and not just camera.

EDIT: Just realized I no longer have the option to enable my camera in settings anymore. Why’s that? Now it is forced on by default.

4 Likes

Sounds like a great update, but I have a question.
Sorry if I don’t understand, but why do I not even have the camera feature? I can’t see the camera button in-game, and I can’t see a toggle in settings (I believe it is gone now, but I never could). If anyone has any idea about how I can fix this, I would be happy to hear them.

For now, I will just keep waiting. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Same thing is going on here. It was like it has been removed from my settings. Unsure what is going on.

EDIT: So I think it is now naturally built in. I just joined a game with a camera option and it was in game.

EDIT 2.0: It’s back in settings. Just must of been being worked on.

4 Likes

Oh, that makes it a lot better, not sure if I missed that in the post or if that wasn’t stated.

Thank you for respecting those not willing to use the feature

7 Likes

I hope that the viewport for your avatar with camera controls gets changed. Its inconsistant with the Beta CoreUI avalible in studio and some experiences on the platform.

4 Likes

mehh,
I think it would be better to place the microphone button on the chat side or in the escape menu. It’s too easy to accidentally activate voice chat, and someone might hear you by mistake.

6 Likes

I’ve always been shocked by how basic the design for some of the new UIs are on core GUIs. The self view interface looks so rushed and frankly outdated, the colors don’t have consistency and even the scaling and padding and corners seem to be set haphazardly. The camera buttons in the ESC menu aren’t scaled evenly with the close button. The microphone icon in the bubble above the character looks low-res on my 2k screen.

9 Likes

Please hire new UI designers. The new ui looks awful, and it gets in the way for both developers, and players

11 Likes

Would be pretty cool to let people customize the UI in their own experiences. Let’s be honest: right now, the UI sucks and I’m sure even some 10 year old could come up with a better design.

Aside from that, the decision of removing the camera button over the player’s head was a good choice. Thanks!

5 Likes

Is this feature going to release worldwide soon? I’ve been seeing about this for so long, noticed all my friends get it, seen updates being incooperated with it and I have yet to receive it at all!
Are there any hidden criteria that needs to be met? Like a camera must be attached when playing a game for it to register perhaps (i dont have my camera plugged in 24/7)

3 Likes