Unable to change face from character that isn't the default roblox one

The title may be confusing but I got this bug/glitch when I tried to make a character system.

By default face, I meant a normal face that isn’t overridden by any other Roblox face from the catalog.

Tried to change it through CharacterAdded even with a delay and still didn’t manage to get it to work.

Any other face.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Under the character > Head, there is a decal which is the face decal. I’m assuming you are creating a decal over the original default face, so just change the decal ID to what you need.

If I have misunderstood, I apologize.

1 Like

Yeah, the problem is when I try to remove the face decal from the head it doesn’t work if the face isn’t the default one for some reason.

What I think they mean is instead of adding a new decal, change the imageID of the currrent face decal to the one you want. If you’re specifically looking for “face” then you’ll most likely run into errors. If you haven’t, use :FindFirstChildOfClass(“Decal”) instead of what you’re doing right now (if you aren’t).

Another work-around would be setting up a blank starter character in StarterPlayer in which with your CharacterAdded event, you apply the clothing, accessories, and the face from where ever you store the model.

1 Like

You could pretty easily avoid having to edit the individual instances within the player.Character and instead use the HumanoidDescription system to get the characters DefaultHumanoidDescription, then edit the .Face value of it and apply the new one.

You can read more about it here:

I will try to make a simply script to demonstrate this.

Okay, here is the solution I have come up with:

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	local DefaultHumanoidDesc = Players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(plr.UserId)
	DefaultHumanoidDesc.Face = 7317773
	plr:LoadCharacterWithHumanoidDescription(DefaultHumanoidDesc)
end)

This script should be run on the server. I have it running in ServerScriptService.
Feel free to use this if you want, or write your own script. If you’re trying to create an entire Character Editor system, I would highly recommend using the HumanoidDescription system, as that is exactly what it’s made for.

Images

With the script disabled:

With the script enabled:

1 Like