Unable to download sound data - ROBLOX Official/Verified Music

So I made a radio that plays ROBLOX-Verified Music that I’ve hand selected and collected IDs for on the ROBLOX marketplace for sounds, and a lot of my game testers are having problems with the assets being unable to download.

Some of the testers used a VPN, and some of them admitted they had bad internet, people with good internet connections did not have this problem.

Should I be looking into this as a problem to fix or is it an unavoidable problem with how ROBLOX fetches sound data for clients.

I might try and see if I can retry downloading after all the other stuff for the client has loaded to see if its a ping/bandwidth problem when they first join the game.

I couldn’t find anything on this topic other than the same problem happening for Private sounds however the sounds I’m using are Freely distributed on the marketplace posted by ROBLOX so I can’t see unless I’m doing something wrong that I would have this problem.

Here is a snippet of code to show how I am playing, the sounds are stored in StarterPlayerScripts

currentSong = Instance.new("Sound")
currentSong.Parent = script
currentSong.Name = "CurrentSong"

randomSong = script.playlist:GetChildren()[math.random(1, rawlen(script.playlist:GetChildren()))]
currentSong.SoundId = randomSong.SoundId
controls.title.Text = randomSong.Name
currentSong:Play()

Here are some screenshots to help anyone to understand the problem.

1 Like

If the sounds are publicly available and you still can’t play them then to my current knowledge its an internet issue or the official roblox servers are running behind which I highly doubt is the case right now. In my opinion this is the only case where the “people with good internet did not have this problem” is valid

1 Like

Do you think it would be worth trying an approach that is “internet performance friendly” instead of letting the engine automatically try to load them in all at once while the user loads the rest of the map.

I was thinking of making a loading screen that loads the map then after loads the sound assets manually in the script one by one utilising the hasLoaded Boolean property of Sounds to check if its loaded and retrying if it hasn’t.

I’m pretty sure but I cannot prove it atm that the error itself is when you either try to play a not yet loaded sound or you set the SoundId to a sound that is unavailable. So making it make sure the sound has the HasLoaded property ticked before playing is a good choice

1 Like

I’ll give that a go, thanks for your wisdom.