Unable to follow players using the PlayerList

Previously, it was possible to follow a player by selecting their name in the Player List and clicking Follow. As seen from the screenshot below, the Follow button has completely disappeared - making it impossible for you to follow players and for them to follow you from within a game.

If Roblox could address this issue it would make my experience a lot better as I would be able to continue supporting players who join me in game and say they appreciate my work. Following players is an important feature for me, as I can’t add every single person as a friend that makes positive comments about me. I like to show my appreciation of their positivity by following them and because of this problem I will have to write down each individual username to later search and follow through the website.

EDIT:

Someone sent me a screenshot from when the Follow button existed.

33 Likes

While this doesn’t directly affect me and isn’t necessarily going to impact every developer, it’s definitely one that might seem puzzling for a normal user, especially since the only other way (that I know of) to actually follow someone on Roblox is through the website, and most end-users are very unlikely to go out of their way to go to someone’s profile page just to follow them. Additionally, given that a friends list is capped to 200 players, it seems like a no-brainer to have a follow button there.

EDIT: Seems like they already had the follow button earlier on but isn’t present anymore. Strange…

10 Likes

This is an intentional change. The ability to follow users will still be available on web from the Profile page. Thank you for your report.

16 Likes

Thanks for clarification. Could we possibly know more about why this change was made? I used this feature a lot to show support to other players in game and don’t quite understand why it has been removed.

12 Likes

Hey! Just wanted to say this change ruined convenience as a whole to show fans support.

I myself, have always had a strict “follow 0 people policy”, at one point I wanted to change and give support to people in-game and follow them instead of friending them, as it is super hard to select who to friend as there is a lackluster of space on how many users you can actually friend.

Like @Webmotion asked, can we get a reasoning on why this happened? Was a re-captcha not able to be implemented into games? Was this a form of botting?

Any answers would be appreciated,

Thanks!

14 Likes

We’ve temporarily removed this feature from the Player List because of scalability constraints. We have made the tactical decision to disable it for now. And to reiterate, following users is still possible on web from the Profile page.

With that said, we’re working on making the followings feature more useful overall and are exploring a way to bring it back to in game at some point in the future.

22 Likes

Thanks for the information, I was confused as to why it was removed but I’m glad you’re exploring a way to bring it back in game in the future. Looking forward to see what happens.

I understand that it is possible to follow players through the website, however this is a hard thing to do when a lot of people join me during a testing session or something similar - I’d have to note each username down and later search for their profile in order to follow them which is why I was bringing this up as a topic.

8 Likes

Have any decisions been made regarding following ingame? It seems as though you guys are trying to remove the following system entirely…

3 Likes

Post has a solution so closing it, @Blizzory please file a feature request elaborating on what developer-related problems you are facing from this change